Dell XPS 15 video playback

cozalp

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I have a Dell XPS 15 (L501X) laptop with core i7 740qm cpu, 4 gb ram, Geforce 435m gpu and Samsung hm640jj 640gb hdd.

The problem is i cannot watch a video (even low-res videos) without stuttering from time to time, if the video file located in the local hdd. If i copy the same videos to an external drive or flash drive then i play from there, it runs fine. The stuttering problem also exists with games: if my observations are correct, when some disk access required, sometimes the game pauses maybe a quarter of a second. Other than those there is no problem with the system.

Support people at Dell wanted me to do some diagnostics and all results were ok, then they wanted from me to make a clean install of windows 7 with the latest drivers. It didn't help. Then they said it appears like graphics chip problem so they will replace the mainboard and wanted me to send the laptop back for repairs.

Has anybody experienced a similar problem? Also if there is something wrong with the gpu, why does everything run fine from an external storage source? It's like a hdd problem to me, what do you think?

vipulsingal

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
hi
even I am noticing the same stutteriing and freezing video problem since last few months
Called dell care many number of times but everytime they make me reinstall the drivers. I even reinstalle windows twice but i see the problem again..

Dell_anish

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hello cozalp,

Are you having the issue only while playing video?

Does it happen while you are trying to switch windows?

What about Online Videos?

Could you also PM me your service tag if you have purchased the system in US.

TRENDING THREADS