Solved! Dell XPS L502x Laptop stuck on Dell logo on startup

fireice

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
My Dell laptop has developed a problem where it refuses to go past the Dell logo as shown here. It just hangs on this screen until the power switch is pressed to turn it off.

I’ve tried the following to try and fix this:

■ Taking the power cable and battery out, then holding the power button for 30 seconds and then turning the machine on. Result: Hangs on the same screen.

■ Removing the hard drive and booting without a drive. Result: Hangs on the Dell screen and goes no further.

■ Selecting F12 and then selecting Diagnostics from the menu. Result: Hangs on a black screen straight away. Only option is to turn off.

■ Creating a Ubuntu Live USB and booting from it. Same result: Hangs on a black screen straight away. Doesn’t get to any loading screen, only option is to turn off.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this or am I looking at having to replace the laptop?

Solution
I think what you need to do is try to reflash the BIOS. I would ask at Dell Community Forums. There is a mix of expeienced users, and Dell technicians there that will have knowledge of that particular sytem. A BIOS problem can be very difficult because without the BIOS nothing else gets started. Yes it could possiblybe fatal.
It could be a major hardware issue. A CPU, or RAM failure might cause that. There's really not much else involved at that stage of operation.

william p

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I think what you need to do is try to reflash the BIOS. I would ask at Dell Community Forums. There is a mix of expeienced users, and Dell technicians there that will have knowledge of that particular sytem. A BIOS problem can be very difficult because without the BIOS nothing else gets started. Yes it could possiblybe fatal.
It could be a major hardware issue. A CPU, or RAM failure might cause that. There's really not much else involved at that stage of operation.

Solution