Dell XPS M1530 fan stops working after boot.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Understood. So, power gets sent to the fan at power up and then stops. The fan works otherwise. The sensor works because hwmonitor sees it and reports temps. The fan never comes on while the system is in use.

You are down to a defective mobo (darn near everything is integrated into it). You can get a replacement mobo at:

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/Categories

Search on M1530 and you'll see 2 motherboard options. I have used these guys several times. I HIGHLY recommend them.

max90

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I was afraid you might say something like that and I also suspect it, thank for your time.
By the way the fan stooped again and this time I didn't exit the bios, I think it thinks it's april fools.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It is not unusual for it to spin up and down, but for it to stop is not normal. Worth checking with Dell to see if they will replace as a result of the lawsuit because of damage (potential) caused by the GPU and its impact to the mobo.

If they won't, you are out nothing (but the time) and you can replace the mobo yourself. Not hard, just tedious.

Good luck!

brwnbear

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Dear Max90, I just experienced the same problem with my M1530's Fan after booting to Win7.

I recently took apart my laptop to clean the dust and pulled the fan apart to clean out the blades.

When I press F2 to start the setup the Fan will continue to run even in the Desktop.

Again I have the same problem, fan starts on Bios A12 screen, then the fan shuts off on the Desktop. If I press F2, do nothing in Bios, it will run in Desktop.

Good Luck

Bikash Singh

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

Hi were you able to solve it?? or what remedy did you take !! plz share as i am having same exact problem.

dotcalminc

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
***SOLVED!!***

http://www.dotcalm.it/ads/xps1530.jpg (Pics are here. Cannot upload for some reason)

I rerouted the power for the fan to a nearby positive. Upside is that the fan will be working. The downside, if you consider it to be, is that the fan is always on full power. This IMO is a better option that replacing the motherboard and requires very little disassembly to make this work.

Unplug power and battery
Remove red wire from fan plug
Solder red wire to "+" side of resistor (this is marked with a + on it)
Plug up power to test
If everything works, reassemble and you're done!

My speed fan temps were 65+ C for my GPU before doing this and are now 40-45 C

Good luck! If anyone has questions about this you can msg me.

TRENDING THREADS