Dell's XPS One 24 All-in-One Desktop: The iMac Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I like HP's all in one better then Macs and this Dell all in one. It comes at a $2000 price tag for the version with a 9600m, but it also is a touch screen which simply wins.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i'll only get it if it's more expensive than a mac...

-_- more expensive means better these days right? don't forget to throw some white on there..black is so played out.

luciiacob

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
For that kind of money (~2000$) I prefer a Samsung 240HD (monitor), the 1500$ rig from the System Build Marathon on Tom's Hardware and the Logitech MX5500 wireless keyboard and mouse kit. Since I would have twice the performance I'll just pretend there's no (very cool) full tower case under my desk :)

G

"the Dell XPS One 24 offers greater flexibility, especially for use as a media center."

Ever heard of frontrow and the apple remote ?

G

If you pay $100 more on the most expensive one you would essentially get the Hp with a Core 2 Due 8100 instead of Core 2 Quad 8200, but you get touch screen.
I think that the touch screen is not that useful overall, but it's a nice touch. I like the design of Hp more than Dell. And after all, dell pretty much sucks!

G

and when the hardware is outdated you have to throw away the monitor as well, excellent.

Seriously, I can live with 1 additional powercable and dvi cable, so that I can upgrade my machine without throwing everything. As said before, a laptop on a mount, that you can't really carry around.
I'm guessing this machine will generate some noise too? I prefer having the noise as far away from my ears as possible, like under the desk.

G

"...a wide viewing angle of up to 89-degrees". My oldish samsung (5 years old) has a wider viewing angle. Where did Dell find a screen like that? dumpster?

drrich2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Hi:

In addition to 'throwing away the baby (monitor) with the bathwater (PC)' next time you upgrade to something else, as Decept pointed out, I'm not enthused with the poor capacity what maximize what you get, coupled with poor expansion. If there are only 2 memory slots, I want the option to put 2 4-gig modules in them. If there is only one hard-drive, I want the option to use a 1 terabyte HD (I'd say 1.5, but it's my understanding from a review on this site that Seagate's 1.5 is slower, more a data storage drive than a primary system/OS drive).

As much as I like the simple, clutter-free design, over time, you can't move the monitor forward to your next system so you must by a new one, and you can't upgrade memory or storage very practically, so in time, are you really saving that much clutter? (Old equipment = clutter, after all).

Richard.

G

"Nvm on the GPU. But macs can't game anyway, so I suppose it doesn't matter..."

Where there's no dual release just use Windows for games on the Mac. OSX for work, Windows for play. Lack of OSX on XPS is a show-stopper for me having compared it with XP & Vista, Windows is just annoying now.

McD

Status
Not open for further replies.