Solved! Denon AVR 3805 audio with 2019 Samsung 8 series TV

Aug 7, 2019
Do either digital optical output or direct connection from the cable box both work? Which provides the best sound quality? Ease of use? I have a nice Denon AVR 3805 I would prefer to keep. Thank you for taking time to advise me!

Solution
The digital output of the cable box and the digital output of the TV will have equal quality.
Using the TV output simplifies switching and will allow the receiver to work with any other sources (internal or external) connected to the the TV.
Check the TV manual on how to turn on and set the optical output for 5.1.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Yes. I assume you have your TV connected to the cable/ sat box via HDMI. Whether or not you use the optical out from the TV or box is up to you. I also have a non-HDMI receiver in use. Some sources (current Blu-Ray DVDs) may not provide the full 5.1 or 6.1 signal your receiver can use. You'll be stuck with basic surround. This happens with my Yamaha RX-V1 with some sources. I run the HDMI signals from the sources into the TV, which is essentially only a monitor. The audio from my cable box is COAX (not optical) and my Denon Blu-Ray is optical. HDMI systems automatically switch to the source where there's a signal, which is nice, but you will have to manually select the source for your TV input AND your receiver, which can be a pain unless you use a remote with macro features that you program to perform those tasks. Hope this helps!

The digital output of the cable box and the digital output of the TV will have equal quality.
Using the TV output simplifies switching and will allow the receiver to work with any other sources (internal or external) connected to the the TV.

Reactions: Clueless+/-
Solution
Aug 7, 2019

I’ve been encouraged to buy a new receiver with an HDMI port. I’m reading your message to mean that is unnecessary. Do I have this right? If yes, I am delighted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sonic Illusions