Solved! Denon CD player motor not responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2018
I have a Denon DCD-1700 CD player from around 1990. The motor does not come on to play a disc. The drawer and electronics all work. The unit has been sitting unused for quite a while, but I do not think that it is broken or worn out. What should be the next thing to try? Thanks.

Solution
If the lens was dirty, highly likely having sat on the shelf like that, helped am sure. The laser assembly needs to move freely, so if u continue to have little glitches, I would attempt to clean the mechanism that moves the laser, remove old grease and re-lube, if u are handy with tinny mechanical parts.
Is not broken because it's been sitting unused? It is to me if it doesn't play regardless of the reason. Even electronic/electromechanical devices have SHELF LIFE.

It needs to be cleaned, refurbished, broken belt, dried rubber parts, congealed greased etc. Are u attached to this CD player? they are relatively cheap new.

Nov 25, 2018
It was very expensive when I bought it. Is very heavy duty and has a very good D/A converter. To buy one of this quality would be expensive. I just took the top off and added a Cd and found that it spins, so it is not the motor. The counter does not advance and there is no sound.

Nov 25, 2018
I cleaned the laser and plugged it in an let it sit for a while and then it played! The electronic parts must have needed to charge. The first track does not play the first 55 seconds. The rest of the tracks play. I do not know what would cause this to happen.

If the lens was dirty, highly likely having sat on the shelf like that, helped am sure. The laser assembly needs to move freely, so if u continue to have little glitches, I would attempt to clean the mechanism that moves the laser, remove old grease and re-lube, if u are handy with tinny mechanical parts.

Solution

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015

It's a 28 year old CD player. Technology has advanced quite a bit since then. I would not be surprised if something cheap today is as good as that was.

Nov 25, 2018

The mechanism runs on a gear linear track with gears. The track looks clean and not sticky, but not lubricated either. I think that it could use some lubrication. I am not sure what to use but I read somewhere else to use 'lithium grease'. What would you recommend for lubrication? The gears to have some dark matter on them. What to use to clean? I think alcohol would be harmful to the plastic parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.