Desktop shortcut issues

ColdMace833

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Hello, I'm having problems with a desktop shortcut that I use for a particular program. Before the shortcut icon was original unique one created by the developers. It stayed as it was for over a year. However just recently the icon changed to just a white background with small icons in the middle. I tried fixing this by going to where the file is in the system and creating a shortcut from there. But the file for the shortcut also has its icon changed, and creating a shortcut from it does not bring back the short cut. The shortcut still works and launches the program. But what could be causing this? Is this a problem with the registry, a virus or the program itself?

LFAJames

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Oh, I have had this problem quite a few times with steam games, If it is a steam game just re-install it, Otherwise i dont know any other way to send it back, You'll just have to live with it. Sorry

You can manually point the shortcut to use a specific icon. The icons are usually inside the .exe or .dll file in the program directory the program is installed in. Right-click on the icon, go to Properties, then click on "Change Icon", browse to the program files and poke around in there.