Despite Twitter Hoaxes, Haiti SMS Donations Hit $10m

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
If you live in Portland Maine my punk band Big Meat Hammer (which is maine's oldest punk band 20 years now) will do a benefit for the cause at Flask Lounge on Sat.Jan30th 4PM
No Cover just leave donations and all will go to Haiti.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]gorehound[/nom]If you live in Portland Maine my punk band Big Meat Hammer (which is maine's oldest punk band 20 years now) will do a benefit for the cause at Flask Lounge on Sat.Jan30th 4PMNo Cover just leave donations and all will go to Haiti.[/citation]

Great cause. I'd go but I'm a little far away!

derstarke

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Kinda makes you look at those companies to see what they ARE doing. That's not to say they weren't doing anything already, but imagine if they weren't and this hoax started. I'm not promoting the idea, just wondering if it would get a company to start donating if it wasn't already.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
"We've incentivized our 62 million AAdvantage members to give cash to Red Cross and receive bonus miles from us," said Tim Smith. "We cannot fly any passengers to Haiti at this time and our efforts on the humanitarian front are as described above."

Huh? Could some 'merican please translate that for the rest of us?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Give people, GIVE!
Umm... I gave an Australian dude $40 once, does that count?
Typically, we see a headline about 1000+ deaths and we just shrud it off, but the Haiti incident actually has the people doing somehting about it, impressive.
Unfortunately, the damage was likely far into the billions, and our little amounts of donations won't even make a scratch at helping the people rebuild, but atleast it will help them survive.

I'm actually moved by all of this. Too bad it took 10,000+ deaths to do it. =(

I wish for only the best for these people. Think I'll go give a few bucks.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
We've incentivized our 62 million AAdvantage members to give cash to Red Cross and receive bonus miles from us
This means whoever flies this airline would most likely have an Advantage card. When they book flights, they rack up point. When you have enough points that could be a free flight, discount on hotels, ect... So, if they donate money with the Advantage card, they will receive bonus points without flying anywhere. Hope this helps.

G

The correct number for the Red Cross Creole speaking volunteers is 305-644-1200. My source was the Miami-Dade Red Cross directly. I never believe Twitter or Facebook, or just about any other source on the Internet unless it can be verified by the company that is making the offer. People shouldn't retweet or post offers unless they have verified it first. Don't be lazy, it only takes a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.