Deus Ex: The Fall Detects Jailbroken Devices, Renders Game Unplayable

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I especially like the "we're sorry" for a voluntary action they went out of their way to take. I don't think they're all that sorry.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
If you're jailbroken, just install XCON from Cydia and patch the game, it'll work fine apparently.

Square Enix are just wasting their time, and yours.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Headline should read: "Modders and Enthusiasts must pirate Deus Ex, so says Square Enix".

Of course not true enthusiast would be using apple to begin with.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Of course all this does it prevent people from casually sharing the game with people they know. Any "pirate" version will work around this.

Question: Is the lawyer excuse relate to the Supreme Court first sale/resale ruling?

/OT Damn forums still broken, going on 6 months now

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Why do they even care about Jailbroken iphones...
It's like, a game says "wow, you have bittorrent capable software installed in your computer" and prompt a "f!@# you, pirate." message.
It's like walking into a dedicated shoe store with another brand's product and being scold over it...

renz496

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
afaik they don't even allow their games to run on rooted android phones (although some people are lucky to be able to run Square Enix's games on their rooted devices) so something like this is expected from them

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Wow, thanks for painting with a very broad brush there, Square Enix. I jailbroke my Gen.1 iPod Touch years ago just to see if I could do it. Thanks for assuming I am a criminal. I will just assume all of your games suck and stay away from them.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
if only they knew how many people just don't want all the crap that comes installed from the factory on their phone so they jailbreak / root it to complete get rid of that crap. Simple lesson, don't talk about the game, don't give them any free advertsing and pretend the game never existed. Otherwise the more you talk about it, the more other people will buy it and S.E. wont learn any lessons.

SvRommelvS

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I for one look forward to reading the news stories of class action lawsuits alleging that the games inability to function on jailbroken devices was not properly disclosed prior to purchase. Mind you, it could have DOES NOT FUNCTION ON JAILBROKEN DEVICES stamped across every line it its app store description and the lawsuit would still happen.

majudhu

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
DRM ( a.k.a Digital Restrictions Management ) is defective by design, when will they understand? http://defectivebydesign.org/

spat55

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Square are so thick, I use to like them, but there over the top predictions for games to sell, this and not listening to their customers is starting to really p**s me off.

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Well although I would never ever own any iCrap this move is stupid. And as said above it will just force people to pirate the game and completely get around the whole DRM crap anyway. I really do not know what they thought a move like this wood do but it will not stop pirating the game at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.