Developer: Current FPS Games Are "Boring"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]And you should only be allowed to reload entire clips at a time, none of this 30% clip leftover automatically put into another clip in .05s.[/citation]
You've been able to do that in every Battlefield game from BF 1942 to BF2142, although I'm not sure about Bad Company and Heroes as I haven't played them. I think there's a couple of other games that do the same, but it's a rare feature still.

Personally I think AI have changed little in the last decade. They are still brain-dead, they just have the ability to kill you from greater distances with less accurate weapons now.

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]The only AI that really stood out to me was in stalker. I remember one time ...[citation]

Dude, bit of advice...no one is going to read the long ass comment. Remember: short and to the point

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I don't know if he was AI or realism. What I took from it is he's tired with the fact that they're all so similar. More variety in game play not just different level settings.

Cons29

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
"you know how fps today are 'boring'? they are all this and that..blah blah blah...hey you know we this new (fps)game we're working on.."

yeah, nice one to promote an upcoming game huh?
innovative? sure, show it and we'll tell you if its not 'boring'

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
So he's talking about a game where enemies stand in the open and shoot at you, and where you run around in the open and shoot back? This seems familiar for some reason. This concept must be ultra-revolutionary.

I think EA is acting really stupid recently.(or maybe for a long time, you pick)

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]The entire environment needs to be destructible. Then there eventually will be no cover. And you should only be allowed to reload entire clips at a time, none of this 30% clip leftover automatically put into another clip in .05s.[/citation]

Have you played the Bad Company 2 demo? Though I haven't actually watched the reload process to discern if you get ammo back with the reload.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I think his comment sounds ridiculous, but, I'm curious to hear him elaborate on the point, or make clear what he means. I actually liked Black back on the PS2...While I'm incredulous of his comment, I'm curious what he would supplant them with such that they would be vastly improved, though I suspect his game wouldn't supplant all other FPS with it's "innovation" whatever that innovation is.

Lozil

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
The fun factor in the games is missing these days. The game publishers are trying too much to increase the graphic detail, match the physics to real world. Where as for a Gamer, At the end of that shot he just needs that damn evil person dead in an FPS game, not his head blown out or limb fall down. It's the story which used to keep the FPS alive earlier. Now a days it has just become a blood spill on screen.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Someone from EA complaining about the lack of quality aka "fun" in a FPS is kinda ironic.

I mean EA themselves just throws as many of each game out at a time they can and tend to just not give a crap about developing the game, just the money.

Farfolomew

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
All new FPSs are the same to me, nowadays. The same boring contemporary weaponry (read: invisible projectiles, ie bullets), 1 or 2 shot head kills, engagements that last mere seconds, etc. If you want examples of truly unique FPSs, check out Tribes made in '98, Tribes 2 made in '01, and Planetside made in 03. They're all modern PC FPS games (3d-accelerated, Windows, great netcode, etc). They're about as far from realistic as you can get, but the type of weaponry, vehicles, and gameplay are COMPLETELY different than any other FPS out there.

The Tribes games incorporate a Z-Axis by giving the player a jetpack. This alone creates a whole new style of gameplay by giving players freedom to go just about anywhere. They also do away with pray-n-spray weaponry in favor of more skill-based, lower refire rate, bigger explosive type guns. The engagements aren't so suprised-based as they are skill-based; it's far easier to survive a suprise attack from a crappy player than it is in a modern FPS game where you'd be dead in a matter of 1-2 seconds.

Planetside is the only FPS massive multiplayer (MMO) that's ever been released, and while it shares many simularities to more modern FPS games, it still offers elements unique to any PC game, save Tribes. Slightly slower combat, an abundance of vehicles, wide open fields, massive battles (150+ players), all set it aside from modern games.

All three of these games are anywhere between 7-12 years old, yet still have a modest contingent of players. As far as I know, no other games offer their unique style of gameplay. For those who are bored with the familiar type of gameplay offered by seemingly all FPSs today, I suggest you check out the 3 I mentioned.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Thank god someone agrees with me, if I shoot someone in the head , and they aren't wearing a helmet, it should not matter what weapon I use , if it can penetrate the skull IRL , the dude should be dead with one shot , no exceptions. As for helmets , those will only protect you from so much.[/citation]

Counter Strike Player.

Also, I agree, +1

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom](...) 2. Fear- I can't recall many enemies that you go up against (besides unarmed pedestrians) that you shoot, and instead of fighting to the death, maybe get the fear in there eyes, and run away. It just makes the game more real.[/citation]

There was a game EA done in 97 called SCARAB. I'm still looking for a FPS with AI as good as that. When they were hurt they ran and wait for a better moment strike again. They could replicate whatever successful strategy you have (learning). That gives automatic balance in difficulty.
Of course that AI sometimes was more an AM (artificial moron) but those features I miss in every FPS.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]justiceguy216[/nom]I think he's refering to games with preset cover points... where the game says "Press 'A' to hide behind this here barrel", rather than letting you figure out how to crouch behind it and uncrouch to shoot[/citation]

As I recall, this is really only a console feature. This doesn't happen in games like MW2, BFBC2 (beta), or MW1, FC2, or Crysis.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]mathiasschnell[/nom]Y'know sometimes realism needs to be thrown to the wayside for the sake of fun. Not sure why there's a sudden need for things to look and feel realistic when the most fun games are ones where reality is pretty much ignored. I mean, just take a look at Katamari Damacy. Realistic? No. Weird and perhaps drug induced? Yes. Fun as hell? You bet.[/citation]
I immediately thought of Katamari Damacy when I was reading the beginning of your post. Exactly right.

Status
Not open for further replies.