Y'know sometimes realism needs to be thrown to the wayside for the sake of fun. Not sure why there's a sudden need for things to look and feel realistic when the most fun games are ones where reality is pretty much ignored.
I mean, just take a look at Katamari Damacy.
Weird and perhaps drug induced? Yes.
Fun as hell? You bet.
[citation][nom]coderdunn[/nom]I see, so he wants AI in games to be more fun by standing out in the open while they get shot. Sounds much more realistic /s[/citation]
I think he's refering to games with preset cover points... where the game says "Press 'A' to hide behind this here barrel", rather than letting you figure out how to crouch behind it and uncrouch to shoot
That doesn't sound like what hes refering to me justice. Sounds like what coderrdunn said except I think he's talking more about multiplayer not AI.
With that said I couldn't agree more with the boring part, but I completely disagree with the reason why.
Gave me rogue spear with an updated engine. I'd be in heaven. To many new fps don't have enough options. They want to restrict what you do. Ya I like the options of ctf, ffa..etc. But FFS give me the option to host without having to buy a server, or an easy way to customize on what weapons and ammo can be used as an admin.
Shotguns+rubber batons was a blast in rogue spear.
Seriously, I really like the soldier of fortune series. Nothing was more satisfying than completely blowing a guys head off OR a couple limbs. I have seen too many monster FPS games and too many that only have blood and don't convey that ultra violent and very graphic aspect I really like in a good first person shooter. When I'm pissed off or just in a bad mood nothing makes me feel better than a graphic and violent video game.
Thank god someone agrees with me, if I shoot someone in the head , and they aren't wearing a helmet, it should not matter what weapon I use , if it can penetrate the skull IRL , the dude should be dead with one shot , no exceptions. As for helmets , those will only protect you from so much.
I want realistic shooters. Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear were awesome. I loved how Quake and Unreal players couldn't last 10 seconds against me... kept trying to aim while running, trying to jump, forgetting that bullets pass through doors and other people... it was a blast
The only AI that really stood out to me was in stalker. I remember one time I was hiding with my flashlight out looking around, I seen a guy sneak up on one side, and I was sure he was gonna go there, I looked, didn't see nothing, waited, waited, looked again one way, then looked another way, nothing. So I turned my flashlight off, and bam he jumped out and killed me. It made me laugh cuz it was like he was waiting till it was dark so I couldn't see him. I knew he was there, somewhere lurking in the shadows. I agree most AI needs work. Like farcry 2, when u put ur sniper on someone way in the distance and they take a defensive stance. Or grandtheft auto IV the cops just "know" were you are at. I'm not complaining, some of the scripted AI is good, but nothing like playing against a real person online.
A few things I would like to see in AI:
1. Not knowing where you are at- almost 90 percent of the games i've ever played the enemies just "know" where you are at. Give them senses to find you. Sight, sound, smell, ect. Like farcry 2 or crysis. Nothing is worse than when an enemy can "see" through walls, or find you from far away insantly without looking.
2. Fear- I can't recall many enemies that you go up against (besides unarmed pedestrians) that you shoot, and instead of fighting to the death, maybe get the fear in there eyes, and run away. It just makes the game more real.
3. How bout some tricks? - enemy pretends pretends to be hurt, then you walk up to him, and bam, he shoots you. Or he befriends you for part of the game, and then he turns on you.
4. Better Hunting skills - It would be cool if the enemies could do stuff to to draw you out instead of always the run and gun method- smoke the place out first. Throw a rock or something to make you look away from where they are coming from. Work together to get hunt you instead of every man for himself.
5. Tea bagging - nothing would be more real than an enemy that teabag u after the kill. Plus that would motivate you to keep playing so you can teabag him back.
The entire environment needs to be destructible. Then there eventually will be no cover. And you should only be allowed to reload entire clips at a time, none of this 30% clip leftover automatically put into another clip in .05s.
What he should have said is "Console FPS games suck". Press button-go to cover, press button-stand up, move joystick to roughly the vicinity of what you want to shoot, press button-headshot! Yipee I ROCK!