Developer: Current FPS Games Are "Boring"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoderDunn

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I see, so he wants AI in games to be more fun by standing out in the open while they get shot. Sounds much more realistic /s

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Y'know sometimes realism needs to be thrown to the wayside for the sake of fun. Not sure why there's a sudden need for things to look and feel realistic when the most fun games are ones where reality is pretty much ignored.

I mean, just take a look at Katamari Damacy.
Realistic? No.
Weird and perhaps drug induced? Yes.
Fun as hell? You bet.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I think the enemies' AI in Borderlands is a lot of fun. They are constantly scrambling around and they rarely duck and pop up in the same place twice.

justiceguy216

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]coderdunn[/nom]I see, so he wants AI in games to be more fun by standing out in the open while they get shot. Sounds much more realistic /s[/citation]

I think he's refering to games with preset cover points... where the game says "Press 'A' to hide behind this here barrel", rather than letting you figure out how to crouch behind it and uncrouch to shoot

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
That doesn't sound like what hes refering to me justice. Sounds like what coderrdunn said except I think he's talking more about multiplayer not AI.

With that said I couldn't agree more with the boring part, but I completely disagree with the reason why.

Gave me rogue spear with an updated engine. I'd be in heaven. To many new fps don't have enough options. They want to restrict what you do. Ya I like the options of ctf, ffa..etc. But FFS give me the option to host without having to buy a server, or an easy way to customize on what weapons and ammo can be used as an admin.

Shotguns+rubber batons was a blast in rogue spear.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Seriously, I really like the soldier of fortune series. Nothing was more satisfying than completely blowing a guys head off OR a couple limbs. I have seen too many monster FPS games and too many that only have blood and don't convey that ultra violent and very graphic aspect I really like in a good first person shooter. When I'm pissed off or just in a bad mood nothing makes me feel better than a graphic and violent video game.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Thank god someone agrees with me, if I shoot someone in the head , and they aren't wearing a helmet, it should not matter what weapon I use , if it can penetrate the skull IRL , the dude should be dead with one shot , no exceptions. As for helmets , those will only protect you from so much.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I want realistic shooters. Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear were awesome. I loved how Quake and Unreal players couldn't last 10 seconds against me... kept trying to aim while running, trying to jump, forgetting that bullets pass through doors and other people... it was a blast

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, and Ghost Recon was also great... where you can mow down a stupidly bunched up squad from 200 meters with 10 rounds in less than a second. Oh, this is stupid, we didn't even see you, waaah waaah :)

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
The only AI that really stood out to me was in stalker. I remember one time I was hiding with my flashlight out looking around, I seen a guy sneak up on one side, and I was sure he was gonna go there, I looked, didn't see nothing, waited, waited, looked again one way, then looked another way, nothing. So I turned my flashlight off, and bam he jumped out and killed me. It made me laugh cuz it was like he was waiting till it was dark so I couldn't see him. I knew he was there, somewhere lurking in the shadows. I agree most AI needs work. Like farcry 2, when u put ur sniper on someone way in the distance and they take a defensive stance. Or grandtheft auto IV the cops just "know" were you are at. I'm not complaining, some of the scripted AI is good, but nothing like playing against a real person online.

A few things I would like to see in AI:

1. Not knowing where you are at- almost 90 percent of the games i've ever played the enemies just "know" where you are at. Give them senses to find you. Sight, sound, smell, ect. Like farcry 2 or crysis. Nothing is worse than when an enemy can "see" through walls, or find you from far away insantly without looking.

2. Fear- I can't recall many enemies that you go up against (besides unarmed pedestrians) that you shoot, and instead of fighting to the death, maybe get the fear in there eyes, and run away. It just makes the game more real.

3. How bout some tricks? - enemy pretends pretends to be hurt, then you walk up to him, and bam, he shoots you. Or he befriends you for part of the game, and then he turns on you.

4. Better Hunting skills - It would be cool if the enemies could do stuff to to draw you out instead of always the run and gun method- smoke the place out first. Throw a rock or something to make you look away from where they are coming from. Work together to get hunt you instead of every man for himself.

5. Tea bagging - nothing would be more real than an enemy that teabag u after the kill. Plus that would motivate you to keep playing so you can teabag him back.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]coderdunn[/nom]I see, so he wants AI in games to be more fun by standing out in the open while they get shot. Sounds much more realistic /s[/citation]

you want realistic? join the army.
I want fun and immersive.

I agree with him completely.

fps's went cover based to counter the fact that console controllers completely GIMP FPS gameplay!

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Bored? Want to experience the real thing? No problem. Join the US Army or the US marines and get shipped to a combat zone. Unfortunately if you get waxed there is no replay.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
The entire environment needs to be destructible. Then there eventually will be no cover. And you should only be allowed to reload entire clips at a time, none of this 30% clip leftover automatically put into another clip in .05s.

b0o

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Cover system is the worse thing to happen to FPS in the last decade. Its also ruined Mass Effect 2, which isn't a pure FPS, but its combat relies heavily on cover.

crouch and prone positions along with a button to 'lean' were more than enough to let a player or enemy use the environment as cover. I don't know why they've dumbed it down so much.

I also hate the new 'hide for 5 seconds and regen all your health' system, makes every big fight into hiding, shooting 1 target, hiding, shooting 1 target, etc. lame.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
What he should have said is "Console FPS games suck". Press button-go to cover, press button-stand up, move joystick to roughly the vicinity of what you want to shoot, press button-headshot! Yipee I ROCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.