Developer Says Facebook Banning Instagram Competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]What a coincidence. I just banned FB from my house.[/citation]I hate Facebook with the force of a thousand suns.

It's not like Facebook ever did anything to wrong me, I just hate how much other people seem to rely on it. I hate how it's worming its way into my phone, my desktop OS, my web browsers, etc.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
facebook owns facebook. they can reject whatever they want. It;s up to people to stop using it so if you want to really complain and make a difference talk to the next person you see and yell at them, not facebook.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]facebook owns facebook. they can reject whatever they want. It;s up to people to stop using it so if you want to really complain and make a difference talk to the next person you see and yell at them, not facebook.[/citation]

thats not true, you can be fined for abusing your market position. Its like saying that microsoft could ban all 3rd party browsers or skype competitors.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
[citation][nom]irish_adam[/nom]thats not true, you can be fined for abusing your market position. Its like saying that microsoft could ban all 3rd party browsers or skype competitors.[/citation]

Yea well, I don't like it. MS should be able to put whatever damn browser they want on THEIR OS, and if we don't like it we can go somewhere else. How are you going to get another browser if one doesn't come preloaded?

I freaking HATE facebook and the like, but they can do whatever they heck they want with their customer data, developers, apps, etc. I don't give an ass about monopoloy BS. If Classic Pic doesn't like it then go to Google or make their own social crap network or whatever. Or just shoot yourself if you're making another lame social instacrap service. God please!

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
ok so there would be no chrome, no firefox etc. and you would be ok with that?

there is no real alternative to windows, they have a monopoly and such things need to be regulated otherwise you'd be paying through the nose right now for every service microsoft offered. If you didnt like it where are you going to go linux? it may be better now but still if you rely on a program or service that is windows exclusive you have no choice.

facebook is becoming that way, if all your friends are on facebook goodluck convincing them all to join another, especially with their 1000+ pictures and contacts which they will have to try and migrate.

G

So what happens if 3+ people a day give negative feedback about Instagram photos? Do they have to ban that as well? He said it was an independent company right and so it should be treated the same right? It will be fine because Instagram can just use other upload platforms like Google+ etc anyway.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
because saving the image file to your phone or computer and then uploading it manually is hard? i see no problem blocking a service from directly loading to your netowrk, could be a security thing could just be them wanting to make it harder fo rhtem to compete with instagram in either case its just mostly terrible pictures from a tiny overhyped "high megapixel" camera sensor that looks bad put hrough a filter that makes it worse then throws it up onto another program. which brings me ot another point maybe their files from their filters add to much size to the image and so facebook doens't want to have to keep the data or convert it on their server.. who knows

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Last time I checked, FB was a private company running a private service on their private servers. They can do whatever they (or shareholders) want. It's their own risk of losing customers for this.

Monopoly? Just move to Google+.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]CrArC[/nom]I hate Facebook with the force of a thousand suns.It's not like Facebook ever did anything to wrong me, I just hate how much other people seem to rely on it. I hate how it's worming its way into my phone, my desktop OS, my web browsers, etc.[/citation]

Yeah. It is rather insidious. You have to be forever vigilant that some message that pops up does not install some facebook toolbar or plugin or something for your browser, phone, etc. Not only that, but I had to create a fake facebook account just so that I can comment several news forums that require you to login with facebook. I can't even remove it from my phone, because it came with the phone. It's completely disabled though. Dunno if that stops them from using up my mobile internet data cap though.

G

Why is the picture for this article the guy who places Francis on YouTube?
That's the only reason I clicked on the link!!

Oh, just answered my own question.

G

@martel80 FB is a publicly traded corporation. That gives them more legal responsibilities than a private company. Also, as with any advertising driven medium, the users of the service are not customers. The advertisers are their customers. We are the product.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]facebook owns facebook. they can reject whatever they want. It;s up to people to stop using it so if you want to really complain and make a difference talk to the next person you see and yell at them, not facebook.[/citation] You don't understand or don't accept the notion of competition that allows the free market to function instead of coming to a grinding halt.

Status
Not open for further replies.