Device manager not showing nvidia graphic cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1rzyq

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
Hi, I am currently using a Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop. I have a problem with my laptop such that the device manager is not displaying the nvidia graphic card and it only shows the intel graphic card. Due to this i am unable to update the nvidia due to the installer unable to read the card and hence I more or less cant use certain game apps to its best performance. I am in need of help. Thanks in advanced.

Solution
Laptop using other graphics card and not the Nvidia one.

First you need to get it to detect and use the right card.

A. Uninstall, and then reinstall, the latest graphics card driver.
B. Make sure that your Nvidia graphics card is set as the default graphics card.

Here's the steps on how to set it to default.

1. Open the "Nvidia Control Panel".
2. Select "Manage 3D Settings" under 3D Settings.
3. Click on the "Program Settings" tab and select the program you want to choose a graphics card for from the drop down list.
4. Now select "preferred graphics processor" in the drop down list. (You can see what the automatic option is listed as global setting) If you want to use the dedicated graphics card, select High-performance Nvidia...
Laptop using other graphics card and not the Nvidia one.

First you need to get it to detect and use the right card.

A. Uninstall, and then reinstall, the latest graphics card driver.
B. Make sure that your Nvidia graphics card is set as the default graphics card.

Here's the steps on how to set it to default.

1. Open the "Nvidia Control Panel".
2. Select "Manage 3D Settings" under 3D Settings.
3. Click on the "Program Settings" tab and select the program you want to choose a graphics card for from the drop down list.
4. Now select "preferred graphics processor" in the drop down list. (You can see what the automatic option is listed as global setting) If you want to use the dedicated graphics card, select High-performance Nvidia processor.

Once it is running on the right one, test the system again and see if the problem persists.

Solution

m1rzyq

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
So apparently in order for the nvidia graphic card to be detected by the device manager requires quite abit of time and multiple restarts and stuff. So after having the card detected by the device manager what I did was to update the driver automatically first. Next was to manually update the driver to its latest version via clean installation. So far its been pretty good.

mfali728

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Hi Buddy, i have the same laptop with same graphic card and unfortunately with same problem today when i restart my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7559) and run a game i realize that fps dropped and when i check graphic card then i realize that there is no nvidia graphic card installed even my nvidia graphic card (Nvidia Gforce GTX 960m ) is not displaying in Device Manager, there is only my default Intel Graphic card, i also try to show hidden devices but nvidia not even there and also there is no other device name with yellow sign Please tell me how to solve this issue i'll be very thankful to you

nahor123

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017

I am having the same issue. My Device Manager does not detect the graphics card, even when I show hidden devices in the View menu. I also cannot reinstall the graphics card drivers; I downloaded the most recent drivers for the 960M off of NVidia's website, but when I run the installer, it says that it cannot locate any graphics hardware, and fails to update or install anything. I can't uninstall the current drivers because the graphics card doesn't show up in Device Manager. Do you remember exactly what you did to get the Device Manager to recognize the graphics card?

nahor123

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017

I'm having the same issue he had. The problem is that I can't uninstall and reinstall the latest graphics card drivers, because the graphics card drivers do not show up in the Device Manager. I can't open up any of nVidia's software because it says it cannot find any nVidia graphics hardware, even though I have an nVidia 960M installed. I can't install fresh drivers either; I went to nVidia's website and downloaded the drivers for the 960M, but when I tried to run the driver installer, it said that there was no graphics hardware found, so it didn't do anything. What do I do?

kmmatney

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
I also have the same problem. I updated to the latest version of Windows 10 (version 1709) a few days ago, but now just noticed that the NVidia graphics hardware appears to be missing. I haven't tried any games until just now, so didn't notice the problem before. I don't consider this problem solved at all, since the "accepted solution" doesn't make sense for the problem. You cannot run any nvidia software, and the drivers won't install as they can't detect that you even have an NVidia graphics card. I've rebooted a few times. i think my only recourse might be to revert back to the previous version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.