dhcp on seperated network

Iotayoda

Honorable
May 26, 2013
I would like to set up my network like this and would like to know if the dhcp should be turned off on the second router?

1 Designate one router as the "root." This is the router that connects directly to the Internet connection. It does not matter which router is the root, though you may want to use the newest or most powerful router for this purpose.

2 Connect one end of an Ethernet cable to one of the "LAN" ports on the root router.

3 Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the "Internet" or "WAN" port of the second router.

4 Power on the second router. Any devices connected to the second router, wired or wireless, are on a separate network and cannot access any computers or devices connected to the root router, though each computer or device does receive Internet access.

Solution
I know this is late, but a separate is only useful when you do not want the systems talking to each other. You can do the same thing on higher end switches/routers with vlans(but in one box).

I personally use single, but have a "guest" option in my dlink router that I use for systems that I do not want to have access to my network(good to allow random phones and game consoles to connect too), but still can get internet.

nukemaster

Distinguished
You are creating 2 separate networks with that config.

You SHOULD turn off DHCP on the second router for sure.

If you still have issues with it off, the normal approach(with DHCP left OFF) is to simply connect LAN to LAN.

This turns the second router into a switch and wireless access point and eliminates ALL routing and firewall features(IF you have no wireless connections on the second router, a switch would have worked as well and cost less in most cases).

Iotayoda

Honorable
May 26, 2013
The second router will be used for a wireless laptop and hardwired Tv. Seeing how I have to turn off the dchp anyway for a single network setup which is better the single or seperated? Im using a Netgear n300 at the Poe and a Netgear n600 inside the house. Btw Im hardwired from the shed into the house. I have a wireless Isp and had to move the dish to the shed because of obstructions by trees.
Thanks so much Nukemaster!

nukemaster

Distinguished
I know this is late, but a separate is only useful when you do not want the systems talking to each other. You can do the same thing on higher end switches/routers with vlans(but in one box).

I personally use single, but have a "guest" option in my dlink router that I use for systems that I do not want to have access to my network(good to allow random phones and game consoles to connect too), but still can get internet.

Solution