DiamonDisc DVDs Last 1,000 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Considering the fact that hard-drives come in Terabytes these days, shouldn't they spend their efforts on a larger capacity media?

Though it would be nice if software, games, music and movies came on durable media. Especially considering the fact that making backups of your legally purchased discs has been made illegal by greedy corporates who want you to buy another copy if your disc should ever fail.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
sounds like a good deal to me, assuming it actually has more than 50 years of shelf life. I might even get my gold plated punch cards converted

G

But hey didn't they say that when the first DVD's or CD's came out?? They were going to last 100+years?? Maybe this will be the same thing but hey they will have your money. Like the remark above storage is huge nowadays. For backing up? Splitting up huge files, to get on 4.7G parts. When you want to restore these files 10 years later you wont be able to find the decompressor anymore or file stitcher. Even if you put the program on the backup itself it won't run under the OS you will use then.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]lashabane[/nom]We're back to etching things in stone?"Hey Moses! Bring me those tablets and a chisel!"[/citation]
No. It should read: "Hey Moses! Bring me those diamond disks and a laser!" :lol:

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]What's Twitter? /sarcasmI don't think I want to follow you tweeting[/citation]Think of all the spelling and grammatical errors!

Cool media! It definatly has its uses in the industrial sector to replace arcane tape backups.

matt2k

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
diamond? the diamond bearings i worked with were a coupla grand a pop, no etching. this be no diamond!
but seriously, only for hardcore back ups i guess

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]ubernoobie[/nom]no thanks, 35 dollars a disk is like a cheap flash drive[/citation]

And considering that most TVs these days can access a flash drive and show the contents such as musci, video and photos that would be a 16GB flash drive....

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Who says a disc lasts 2 to 5 years? I've got some CDs here I've had for more than 15 years and all work fine. I have some DVDs I've had for 6 years and they still work fine. I've yet to have any problems with any of my super old discs.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Who says that discs only last 2 to 5 years? I've got some CDs here that I burned about 15 years ago that still work (burned on my 1x burner). I've got some DVDs burned about 6 years ago that still work fine. I've yet to have any problems with any of my oldest discs.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Think of all the spelling and grammatical errors!Cool media! It definatly has its uses in the industrial sector to replace arcane tape backups.[/citation]

"definatly" --- oh the irony...

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]"definatly" --- oh the irony...[/citation]Don't let these guys get to ya. Anyway, seriously... about that 2 to 5 year remark... I've heard the same thing that disc's, when taken care of.. can last a pretty long time, 100+ years?

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
2 to 5 years for a DVD, I think your either on Dope or are haveing some kind of memory loss. A standard DVD will last up to 100 years under normal conditions. Who is going to need a DVD after that length of time? Most people don't live to be 100 years. So they have a disk that will last up to 1000 years, great call me when it's the same price of current blank DVD's.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
It's not even a double layer for 30.. Crazy. How is it you say a standard dvd will last only 2 to 5 years. I find that hard to believe maybe if you store it outside in the weather it would make it's life span short but if it was in a controlled environment I think it would last 100 years or so..

Status
Not open for further replies.