Did CCleaner break my Virus Security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CxRizzle

Honorable
May 24, 2013
The other day I ran CCleaner and cleaned up some junk files on my computer. No special options were selected. I believe everything was default except I had it set to clean Chrome completely. The cleaning went as usual. But the next day, I turned on my computer, both Kaspersky Pure and my Malwarebytes (free) just stopped working properly. Kaspersky deleted my subscription key (which I then re-inputted but kept deleting itself) and Malwarebytes was coming up with errors when I tried to run scans. I feared I had maybe caught a virus so I tried to run everything in Safe Mode and neither would load, which made me even more worried it was a virus. Uninstalled both, ran Malwarebytes Chameleon and it detected nothing. Looked in my task manager to see if anything weird was running and there was nothing out of the ordinary. Did a clean install of both, ran complete scans and neither detected anything. My computer had no other weird symptoms other than the virus securities weren't running properly at that time. Everything is running fine now.

So my question is; could CCleaner have the potential to mess up my virus securities? It was the only thing out of the ordinary done before my complete meltdown. Though I have used CCleaner plenty of times in the past with no problems. I really don't think I have a virus but maybe you guys can tell me differently. I never visit any sketchy sites, download weird things and I have had Kaspersky installed since I first installed my OS. Thanks in advance.

Solution
CCleaner is not the culprit, it is most probably malwarebytes. The new version (2.0 and above) is extremely buggy and can kill your system. My perfectly running systems suddenly showed BSODs with the new malwarebytes. Uninstall it, run a few registry and system checks and it should be OK.
Also Kaspersky too has its fair share of niggling problems.

CxRizzle

Honorable
May 24, 2013
To be honest, I don't usually look at exactly what it is deleting. I have put too much trust in it I suppose, but not anymore! If I recall correctly, the amount it was going to clean in the Windows Temp. Files category was really high.. Makes me afraid to use CCleaner again.

Rit_86

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
CCleaner is not the culprit, it is most probably malwarebytes. The new version (2.0 and above) is extremely buggy and can kill your system. My perfectly running systems suddenly showed BSODs with the new malwarebytes. Uninstall it, run a few registry and system checks and it should be OK.
Also Kaspersky too has its fair share of niggling problems.

Solution

CxRizzle

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Never considered that as a possibility since it doesn't run in the background all the time like Kaspersky does. Just used it to run a threat scan once a week.

CxRizzle

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Thanks for the help, everyone. By your advice, I uninstalled Malwarebytes using Revo Uninstaller then went into Regedit and carefully deleted all Malwarebytes related registry entries as an extra cleaning step. Just going to run CCleaner and Kaspersky for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.