Did Nintendo's 3DS Make Japanese Users Sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sykar

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Maybe the Japanese haven't as much experience with 3D flicks and alike and thus feel sick?
I only get slight eye strain when seeing a RealD flick, but I'm probably one of the lucky ones.
Just thinking out loud onto a comment here...

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
3D content as a whole seems to be making more and more people uncomfortable lately, further suggesting that maybe our eyes simply aren't suited for the type of 3D the industry is trying to push on us.

I've only seen a handful of 3D movies in theatres but to me the relative novelty of the 3D effect isn't worth the extra money or the loss of visual quality. Perhaps the day will come one day when 3D images are actually projected in front of us rather than relying on visual tricks, and maybe that day 3D will truly be viable for use in consumer electronics.

2011, however, will not contain that day.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
ok, 3D makes people sick, period...your eyes aren't used to look at 3D images...you will have to start slow and work your way up

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]your eyes aren't used to look at 3D images...[/citation]

But.. I thought viewing the everyday world would be viewing in 3D! :(

I don't get sick or have funny side effects when viewing content in 3D (Nvidia 3D kit or RealD) well the only exception might be getting tired like when I watched Avatar (2:30 hours in 3D is a long time)

G

Our eyes aren't meant to view 3D? What dimension do you think you are looking through every day?

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Our eyes aren't meant to view 3D? What dimension do you think you are looking through every day?[/citation]
I know plenty of people that only use one eye and see normal life in 2D (my wife and my brother). They have plenty of trouble with 3D trying to force them to use both eyes at once and end up with two completely separate images. In everyday life, they just skip using their weak eye. I see in 3D, but not everyone does. The quality of 3D makes a huge difference though--Avatar was easy to watch and IZ3D tires my eyes out really fast.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Most people are extremely wrong about "eyes not used to 3D yada yada".

Here is the skinny on why some people get nauseous while others don't. Each eyeball acts like a camera sending a single 2D picture to your brain, inside your brain it puts the two pictures together and thus you have depth perception. Games and movies are trying to replicate this feature by sending two different images one to each eye, and it works, you indeed get depth perception. Only one problem, the depth perception your getting is based on what the developer produced not what your brain is producing. Each person's eyeballs are set a different distance apart at different depths relative to your nose / eye sockets. You don't notice it but your brain use's your nose as a reference point when lining up your eyeballs, close one eye then the other, in both instances you can clearly see the side of your nose at the center facing edge of your vision, open both eyes and the nose vanishes (but is still present in the pictures being sent to your brain). Without that nose your brain finds it difficult to line up your eyeballs to focus on any single object. Compound this with the fact that any artificial "3D" production will have different depth / separation then what your brain has spent its entire life using and now you can understand where the discomfort is coming from.

Some people's brains can adapt to changing alignment / eye separation easier then others, while other people's brains would be completely incapable of properly working with a different set of eyes. This is also why it "takes getting used to" to use 3D, its the process of training your brain to work with different depths, separations and the lack of a central fixed reference point.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Honestly, a critical and deal-breaking issue like this would have been sorted out if it even existed in the first place. Also, obviously some people handle 3D better than others. I for one can't watch 3D movies due to seasickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.