Did the Germans Catch the NSA Spying on Windows Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
"The NSA could be using"
"But it doesn't know for certain"

After that, I just kind of switched off, may as well have been saying Haley's Comet could be made of strawberry ice cream, "But it doesn't know for certain"

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
This sounds like a rumor or speculation, and not news, but if its true, I don't think anyone should be surprised. We can't trust government with anything. If one of the next presidential candidates run on getting rid of the NSA, they would win for sure.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I wonder if Bill Gates thought the company he took from creation to total market domination could be run into the ground so quickly?

Look at how Microsoft had been run for the last couple years. Die hard Xbox users will be buying PS4s in droves. Windows without a start button replaced with Windows with a fake start button. Apple actually has a market share and everyday people know what Linux is.

If Microsoft pushes this crap down the consumers throat it will signify the nail in their coffin.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
So US Tech. corporations are like the Chinese then, they use their technology to spy. So what is the difference between them.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
The latest disclosure of the NSA's mistakes in breaking it's own rules states that they were tapping into and splitting fiber optic feeds before they even get to Google, Microsoft, etc. The overseeing court (I don't think it was the FISA court, but another) ruled that it broke the 4th amendment. If this is true they don't need Microsoft or Windows to do anything.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
NSA must spy on USA only. I don't live in USA and now i cannot feel to have any privacy when i surf the internet. America has brake the freedom of every person that use the internet. There is no excuses for this (i don't want to hear about terrorism anymore).

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I wonder if Bill Gates thought the company he took from creation to total market domination could be run into the ground so quickly?

Look at how Microsoft had been run for the last couple years. Die hard Xbox users will be buying PS4s in droves. Windows without a start button replaced with Windows with a fake start button. Apple actually has a market share and everyday people know what Linux is.

If Microsoft pushes this crap down the consumers throat it will signify the nail in their coffin.
Again crying over a start button ? Did you even take time to try and see that it has no negative effect in your work with windows ? It only takes a bit of time to get used to, and the Start screen from Win8 is more efficient than than the previous one. On the other hand, could i say screw America and NSA? And though is not nice to say bad things about a country because that`s just generalizing, seriously ... the people can have the last word against their government, and yet America doesn`t, you look at communist countries and try to bring democracy and yet America fails to see it`s own problem, a paranoia government and a big army that eats all it`s fortunes in times of economic crisis.

vitreoushumor

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
We've been told the NSA has had a back door into windows since 1999. Microsoft denied it at the time: http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9909/03/windows.nsa.02/ Now since June 2013 we have another round of these same theories. There is probably some truth in all this.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
@ohim
Windows 8 is a disaster. Yes, the lack of a start button... the whole "metro" interface really. Vista's market share even looks good in comparison, lol.
Anyway... it has now taken out the CEO, Ballmer is out(retiring) and the stock is up.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I'm sure it's true. All you have to do is look at everything else the NSA is doing and it becomes obvious that it will use every angle it can to spy on people. And we already know that MS built them a back door. So there ya go. No such as privacy when connected online anymore.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
if the government does anything is to keep us safe , they probably only go after you if your going to bomb something , if they see you planing on killing your husband or wife they probably leave that alone

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
If you are worried about your personal computer information being stolen, there is only one thing you can do to be certain you can prevent it. Keep it in a Faraday cage, and never connect any wired peripherals (RJ-11/45, coax, fiber, usb etc) that have physical connections to devices outside the Faraday cage.

That and wear tinfoil hats. The tinfoil hats are a must.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
If you are worried about your personal computer information being stolen, there is only one thing you can do to be certain you can prevent it. Keep it in a Faraday cage, and never connect any wired peripherals (RJ-11/45, coax, fiber, usb etc) that have physical connections to devices outside the Faraday cage.

That and wear tinfoil hats. The tinfoil hats are a must.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Remember when everyone who didn't understand tech thought that Y2K was going to make anything with a chip stop running... even automobiles? I kept telling everyone they were out of their mind and not for anti-paranoia reasons but for technological reasons. Well... it turns out that the only way the NSA would track anything is if your computer phoned into Microsoft's US update servers because that goes over lines that the NSA can watch. At that point they only know that your system is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.