Difficulty trying to install Windows 10 on my laptop from dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.

GFactor

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 10 on an Asus n53j laptop (running Windows 7 Pro). I have burned a copy of Windows 10 on a DVD and have a product key. The DVD works straight away on another older laptop (Dell Latitude 6500), however my Asus doesn't seem to either boot from it (even though its in the boot order) and doesn't recognise the disk when looking at it through a file manager (ejects the disk and asks to insert a disk). A movie DVD has no problems playing on both laptops. I feel that I could have the same issue with a memory stick, and have had trouble setting the bios up to boot from a usb as the solutions suggested don't seem to match up with the options in my bios, so haven't tried that yet.

I'm updating the OS from Windows 7 because for some reason, after installing windows security updates, the laptop won't start up and does a system restore. This has been happening since January and decided to solve the issue by upgrading the OS. Not sure if its a related issue or if it could be some sort of virus.

Thanks in advance.

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
You probaly have formatted it in gpt (for uefi only) and the notebook doesn't support uefi, so you have to format the dvd in mbr. In order to do this do the following:
1. Copy the files from the dvd to a folder on your desktop, the name you give the folder doesn't matter
2. Hold the windows key and hit r
3. Type diskpart
4. Type list disk
5. You should know what drive the dvd is by the size it says
6. Type select disk (the gaven disk number, most of the time 1)
7. Type clean
8. Type convert mbr
9. Type exit
10. Right click the windows logo and click disk management
11. Right click the dvd drive and select create partition
12. These are the recommended format options for mbr: fat32, name: ESD-USB, allocation size: 8192kb
13. Now copy the files inside the folder on your desktop to the dvd and it should now work

boju

Distinguished
Try disable uefi boot

13zqq9g.jpg

GFactor

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
Hi Zapthos, I have done what you've suggested on both laptops. Got up to #5. The only disk listed is the laptops main disks. The DVD doesn't seem to be listed on either laptop.

Be aware that Asus doesn't support Windows 10 on that model - - ie they have never released any drivers for it other than those for Windows 7):

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/N53Jq/HelpDesk_Download/

So you might find that some devices don't work if Microsoft doesn't have suitable driver either.

GFactor

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
Thanks bojo, UEFI was initially enabled and didn't work. I enabled it to try and get it working on usb. PS. How do you post images directly on to this page instead of having to use tinypic or similar?

Thanks Smorizio, its an oem disk. The disk I burned works on my older laptop straight away. I tried the usb, however it didn't list it in the bios as an option. I will try the usb thing created on the other laptop again over the next couple of days.

GFactor

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
Thanks Phillip, Thats an new twist :( Would be good to know why its not booting though as I have the same issue with my current Windows 7 disk.

Also that would bring me back to why my laptop has started saying that my version of windows 7 isn't genuine (pop up) after a number of years of use and having a disk and product key, my laptop saying that Windows is activated (in Control Panel/System).
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cf5pur&s=9

boju

Distinguished
Im wondering if theres another way to boot because even though you've set the boot order in bios, is there another procedure missing?

Says in the manual to press esc, have you been doing that at all?

The Notebook PC’s power-ON message appears on the screen when
you turn it ON. If necessary, you may adjust the brightness by using
the hot keys. If you need to run the BIOS Setup to set or modify the
system configuration, press [F2] upon bootup to enter the BIOS
Setup. If you press [ Tab] during the splash screen, standard boot
information such as the BIOS version can be seen. Press [ESC] and
you will be presented with a boot menu with selections to boot
from your available drives

To post images the code is img with brackets. Use the / to cancel the image command.
]img[Link]/img[
Reverse brackets, for reasons ive reversed is the command will activate and you wont see it.

GFactor

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
Trying pressing escape on startup. It gave me the option to start from DVD, however came up with.
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected Boot device and press a key"

"Check your date and time matches to current time in Windows"
Date and time on computer match todays date.

boju

Distinguished
Im not sure why it would say not genuine. Maybe Win7 needs security updates done.

For booting, try revert bios to defaults as in restoring boot order then try esc again.

Do you see usb as a boot option if have it plugged in after pressing esc?

GFactor

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
Hi Guys.

Thanks bojo, I'm not sure why it would say its not genuine either, especially how my computer says its already activated. This whole thing started with the computer crashing each time I did security updates and ending up having to load from a restore point, so didn’t think that would be an option at this stage.

I set up a USB stick with Windows 10 on it. I inserted the usb into the computer, however despite trying some different things, it either went to a blank screen or said it wasn’t a boot device.

On the positive side, I found this on the Microsoft web help site.....

[[[[[Have you tried reactivating by telephone:

Activate Windows 7 manually:
1. Click Start, and in the Search box type : slui.exe 4

2. Press ENTER on your Keyboard

3. Select your Country.
4. Select the Phone Activation option, and hold on for a real person.]]]]]

After this it gave me this huge 9 part numerical code thing, I had to call a number and pick all the options to get to an automated code entering thing (no real person). I entered the code (I think it was 9x5 or 9 x6 numbers long) and it gave me a 48 number code back, which I entered into the form and Bingo!
It announced that my already activated version of Windows was successfully activated! OMG!!!

Thanks for all your help and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.