Digital Ants Used to Battle Internet Worms

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tektek

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
This sounds like some Anime you'd see coming from Japan... Mecha Ants vs Pokemon/Digimon Worms...

I need to tell my little brother to stop watching tv in my room.. ughh!!

G

This concept is not new at all (maybe the application is). They use a method called Ant Colony Optimization (look for it in Wikipedia).

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
So this is strictly an intra-network thing for the foreseeable future? Sounds like a novel approach to antivirus and malware, wonder how well it would scale over the internet. Imagine if they could tag botnets as they cropped up.

darkxuy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Well, there is always the danger they will be overrun by the ants.
Don't worry though, they can bring in Chinese Needle Snakes to eat the ants.
And if the snakes become a problem, all they have to do is import snake-eating gorillas.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
The ants will too get out of control and they'll need to make the iCocroach, which will give way to the iWasp, then the iLizzard, then the iOwl...it'll never end until the Internet is destroyed by the iNukes. Only the iCocroach will survive.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Don't worry, if the Ants become self-aware and turn into Skynet, we can all just switch over to MACs. Its been proven, MACs don't get worms, viruses, Trojans, or even Ants.

Steve Jobs will be "John Connor". We must protect Steve Jobs or all is lost!!!

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]one would have to put quite a bit of trust into a company that releases these.. assuming they'd be allowed "crawl through" your firewalls and leave "cookies" all over your network.[/citation]

Exactly. Real ants send out scouting parties to determine threat levels..what would happen if, for instance, these 'ants' were designed to hunt down views opposing governmental policy, construing them as a 'threat' in much the same way terrorism is treated? The information they gather and in the wrong hands could be a significant threat to one's privacy and security, in my opinion.

This sounds like a decent idea in principle. I just have visions of backdoor legislation pushing through amendments and backdoor legislation, in order to wire-tap more than just run-of-the-mill trojans and the like. And it's all done so silently, so discreetly..so efficiently.

G

probably works,for as long as the worm does not shut down the internet connection, or allows worm access only!

I doubt this method is a good one. It's just creating a harmless worm to attack some other worms. But it's basics are a worm nevertheless.
What's going to happen next? Worms transforming into butterflies, or ant eating insects?
Before we know it we'll all be taking part in the cyberwar, and won't be able to internet normal anymore!

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]Don't worry, if the Ants become self-aware and turn into Skynet, we can all just switch over to MACs. Its been proven, MACs don't get worms, viruses, Trojans, or even Ants. Steve Jobs will be "John Connor". We must protect Steve Jobs or all is lost!!![/citation]
Steve Jobs is the devil incarnate.
Gates is only the beast.

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
But what happens when the swarm gains consciousness, and decide humans are the source of the security problem. Will they start threating the source of the problem or still be content to just keep fixing the problem.... Skynet... you will be born in an anthill, not reconstructed from a cyborg.

ncarlson

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
This kind of technology looks awesome! I can't see how a company can make a "product" using this technology, for example, antivirus/antispyware. I'm making a logical guess that this could be deployed on large/complex corporate networks for protection. For average home use, this would be unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.