Digital cameras for leftys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Ah.

Then might I suggest working with him to learn to use the camera upside down? This will move the action buttons to the left side of the camera and only require a 180 degree flip using software on the PC (some software can flip every pic at once).

It may look or feel odd at first but I know I personally love seeing someone disabled overcome their disability by doing something unconventional.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
No, they don't. It would cost a lot of money to design, manufacture and distribute a lefty based camera and stores would be reluctant to carry them as they would need to allocate shelf space for them.

Please understand I do not mean to be condescending but the operation of a camera even for lefty's is quite simple. I've never heard of a lefty frustrated at the need to use their right index finger to take a picture instead of using their left index finger.

I have found several patents for the idea but none have made it commercially.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Ah.

Then might I suggest working with him to learn to use the camera upside down? This will move the action buttons to the left side of the camera and only require a 180 degree flip using software on the PC (some software can flip every pic at once).

It may look or feel odd at first but I know I personally love seeing someone disabled overcome their disability by doing something unconventional.

Solution

lorituck53

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

That really is good suggestion. My husband has been a professional photographer for over 30 years. He is also a lefty with a handicap and cannot use his right hand. He struggles the most when not using a tripod and it is always a challenge for him since going digital. When I suggested to him to try using the camera upside down he raised one eyebrow and had the look of, "why didn't I ever think of that"? So, thanks so much and hopefully he will give it a try. At 66 years young he may be too old to try new tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.