Disappearing horizontal lines on laptop screen

airsu66

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015
Hello Tomshardware!
My problem started after I disassembled my laptop to add a harddrive and ram. Tried to do everything carefully but ended up damaging my keyboard anyways XD Everything else went smoothly though, but a day after the disassembly pink horizontal line 1 pixel in width appeared on the lower half of the screen. Then after I switched my laptop off for the night and booted in the morning almost the whole lower part of the screen was in pink lines and in that section the image updated inconsistently so that it froze for seconds and updated then. Moving the screen or pressing any point of the screen did not have any effect. However after a couple of minutes the lines started disapperiang by themselves until only 1 line was left, approximately in the same place as before... the lines did not come back ever while working. However after the laptop is left shut down for a longer time, the same repeats. Seems to me as if the heat up is helping? Now I have tried disassembling the laptop and reattaching what seems to me the screen connector on the motherboard, without improvement. External monitor is working without a problem. Touch functions normally even when the lower section of the screen is covered with lines.

Laptop Model: HP Pavilion Touchsmart 15 B156eo

Here is the picture of what seems to be the only connectors going to the screen. Tried reattaching the right one and the left one. Central is wifi, should not be a concern?
49xaesxlt

9li94sj2b

http://postimg.org/image/49xaesxlt/
http://postimg.org/image/9li94sj2b/

Solution

If they a bit loose, moving or as you thought heat expansion could make a better connection. You could have damaged the screen I guess while adding the parts but that is a lot less likely than a connection issue. If the connections look OK, next step would be to try a different screen.

airsu66

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015

So you would say this can only be a connector issue? I mean how does it cure itself over time then?

If they a bit loose, moving or as you thought heat expansion could make a better connection. You could have damaged the screen I guess while adding the parts but that is a lot less likely than a connection issue. If the connections look OK, next step would be to try a different screen.

Solution