Disk utilisation always 100%

Thin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Sony Vaio Vpceb31en E Series laptop
The disk utilisation is always 100% first I concluded that it is because of a Windows update but when after I checked Resource monitor it says System is using the most disk.

I scanned with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but nothing detected, OS operations slowed down a lot, even clicking start button takes many minutes to appear.

Is this due to a failing hdd? But it was working absolutely fine before until a Windows update was unable to install and then I had to force shut down the PC and since then problem worsened but now Resource monitor doesn't mention Windows Update process running.

Reset doesn't work, it gets stuck at 3% always and back to same condition. Now booting to Windows Login Screen also takes many minutes. Problem also continues in Safe Mode with Networking.

What can be done?

flyingchicken

Estimable
Mar 10, 2015
I have a very similar problem on a laptop with dual SSDs in raid 0 so it is unlikely to be an actual drive problem. I'm also fairly certain it's a windows problem or perhaps due to driver conflicts. Maybe try a clean boot (they're pretty simple and there are instructions on how to do it online) as they often resolve driver conflicts. I can't help much more than that besides showing a bit of comradery since we both seem to have the same issue.

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016

Post screenshot from HDtune health and
Performance Monitor - disk tab - disk activity section - ordered by total - with file names visible.

That will give info about drive health and processes that cause disk activity.

Open up a run dialog by holding down the Windows Key and pressing R. In the "Open" field, enter "services.msc". Look for "Windows Search" and "Superfetch."

Go to each of these entries. Right click on one and select "Properties." In the dropdown box labeled "Startup type," choose Disabled. After leaving the properties window, press "Stop" in the upper left corner. Do this for both.

Then restart your laptop. Worth a try.

Thin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

Windows fails to Start, Screen says 'OS not found' Please Help.