Disney Buys LucasFilm for $4 Billion, Plans Star Wars Ep. 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
This will decimate the expanded universe. Disney is incredibly over protective of their franchises. Star Wars literally has hundreds of books that work as a collection of cohesive works.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]it is not like he did any great job in the 1,2,3 starwars anyway. I hope Disney actually find a decent director like brad bird or Nolan to do this franchise.[/citation]

Did lucas direct all three? I thought a different director did Empire strike back?

G

The reason why Lucas sold LucasFilm to Disney? He got sick of the insane fanboys who could never be satisfied and kept threatening him because he kept screwing up what they wanted for Star Wars. It made him lose all care whatsoever to the franchise at that point. There was an article 6 months ago about it. Granted I thought episode one did suck due to being way too little kid oriented and almost hokey; as well as episode two which seemed to drag. Even so, it is still his choice to do so and he should never have been threatened for it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]letstrythisname[/nom]"But to expect another "Luke I'm your father" moment may be to much to ask."Nah, now it'll be more like "Luke I'm your gay, crossdressing father, Please accept me."[/citation]Toss in Ewoks, Wookies, and some spaceships, and you've got a movie!

sgthl

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Well, at least they have material.
There are plenty of post-Empire novels which talk about the new Jedi Order (dont take me wrong, the work by K. Anderson and R.Moesta is awful) and about new dangers concerning the dark secrets of the emperor, cloning force-sentient beings, etc

Lets hope Disney wont screw this shit up like turning the 3er saga into several Phantom Menace movies. eww.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I wasn't a fan of Episodes I or II but I thought III was a pretty good movie and tied in rather well to the story leading up to where IV started. Am I alone in thinking Episode III was decent?

With that said, Disney better not even THINK about re-treading episodes IV-VI. Like many of us, I grew up with the original, watching all three in the theaters and again later all three on HBO at home in the 80s (should have recorded them on VHS back then dammit!). I would have a hard time adjusting to any new episodes with new actors playing Luke, Leia, and others. At least with episodes I-III the actors were all young representations of the characters and easier to accept as not the original actors. But there will be new characters written in to be sure.

We are now approaching a possible three generations of Star Wars fans in the same family lineage, so it is inevitable if the franchise is to continue, the sword needs to be handed down to other generations with new ideas. We will only have one true Star Wars as it were, those of Episodes IV-VI of 1977, 1980, and 1983. There will never be another equal. We must all accept that fact and move on.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
When I saw Hayden standing there in ghost form at the end of Return of the Jedi make me feel so sick and disgusted. I got over that and its been ok, but yeah I'd definitely kill all the changed and/or added stuff that was more than just retouching the original scenes.

The people at Disney probably feel the same way and can't wait to satisfy the fans, which will conveniently line their pockets at the same time. Win Win!

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I loved ep 4, 5 and 6.. To add, i saw the originals in the theaters (yes, I'm that old).. But to be honest. The last trilogy was bland. To me, Lucas had lost his spark in making these movies. I think Star Wars needs new blood. So I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach and see what they come out with.

G

Some people maybe hate or dislike the Star Wars Saga Franchise but as a fan, I think I'm quite happy with it as it is. Its easy for you to say this and that is sucks but imagine yourself as George Lucas at the time of the production - do you really think you can do better? At first this news is shocking... I never thought George Lucas will let go his baby to other people, but since he said it's now time to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers so that Star Wars could live beyond him and it's important to set up the transition during his lifetime - I guess it is indeed a reasonable option - plus he will make lots of money.... Just like George Lucas, I would love to see how the Star Wars Saga Franchise can continue living after the 6 movies (not to forget the animations movies, side stories, video games etc.)

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
At first this news is shocking...

Not shocking... he's in a very unique position of having millions of people loving him and wanting to strangle him at the same time...lol... I'd want to distance myself from a dozen people that were like that.

George Lucas of today, should have trusted the insights of the young George Lucas, and stuck to touch-ups only. He got old. We all get old. I don't have nearly the amount of cool crap I imagined I'd be owning from my youth, but now I realize most of it really was crap. So looking back, I could understand wanting to change my dreams, in George Lucas' case, he can travel back in time and change his dream, but its really not the same person anymore, and so there was some genius and some clash.

Anyway, I better get off Tom's before I stay the whole night. Cheers!~

shanechristie

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I liked star wars episode 2 and 3 way more than 4,5 and 6 (1 was just the story that needed to be told, although the gungans could have been left out). The battles were so lame in the later ones (4,5,6), and the fight scenes were average. the battle at the start of Episode 3 was epic. And the lightsaber duels in 1,2,3 were great. Especially when all the jedis fought together in part 2. watch the movies for the star wars games (the old republic) and youll see there is plenty more that disney can do. just remember though theyll try keep a G-PG rating on it for the kiddies! lol.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I have this odd (not bad, not good) feeling that there might even be a Star Wars TV series, in the Star Trek fashion. Would make sense, and I bet it would be successful. There's a real vacuum of real sci-fi series shows on TV these days - and I don't mean the supernatural stuff, or the lame kind that does seem to float from one season to the next - but I mean solid stuff, like in the 90's and up to Star Trek Voyager. If there was a Star Wars TV show....well, it might even bring back the franchise to where it was before the prequel disasters hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.