Disney Buys LucasFilm for $4 Billion, Plans Star Wars Ep. 7

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Timothy Zahn trilogy:

Now behold the wrath of Thrawn, and the legions of mickey mouse minions!

G

People always bag on Episode I and that's honestly my favorite movie out of them all. I just loved Tatooine. IV-VI were great, but I loved I.

The only Star Wars movies I would be interested in them releasing would be movies based on the Old Republic timeline, with the real Sith Lords and Jedi Wars. It would be a very very very hard story to pull off, but if they did, I believe it would surpass even the original trilogy.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
[citation][nom]letstrythisname[/nom]"Nah, now it'll be more like "Luke I'm your gay, crossdressing father, Please accept me."[/citation]
A sad truth about the current state of our society, I hope Disney will rise above it.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]I have this odd (not bad, not good) feeling that there might even be a Star Wars TV series, in the Star Trek fashion. Would make sense, and I bet it would be successful. There's a real vacuum of real sci-fi series shows on TV these days - and I don't mean the supernatural stuff, or the lame kind that does seem to float from one season to the next - but I mean solid stuff, like in the 90's and up to Star Trek Voyager. If there was a Star Wars TV show....well, it might even bring back the franchise to where it was before the prequel disasters hit.[/citation]

Wouldn't be difficult. I'd rather it be more like Serenity, than Star Trek. Being a rough around the edges, and mostly good but being bad when it works better to get to the good result kind of lead. A Star Wars Old Republic era with a bounty hunter / smuggler captain with his Jedi and non-Jedi crew tearing sh!t up.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
[citation][nom]letstrythisname[/nom]"Nah, now it'll be more like "Luke I'm your gay, crossdressing father, Please accept me."[/citation]
A sad comment on the current state of society, hopefully Disney will rise above it.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Instead of doing an Episode 7 they should do another story outside of Luke and Darth Vader, the Star Wars univerese is incredibly vast and filled with rich content, I will much rather see a movie about the origins of Sith and The Force than an Episode 7.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Considering how the latesta starwars movies was more Disney donnald duck movies than real startwars movies this seem like the logical next step... Will ep.7 feature Donald duck?

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]I have this odd (not bad, not good) feeling that there might even be a Star Wars TV series, in the Star Trek fashion. Would make sense, and I bet it would be successful. There's a real vacuum of real sci-fi series shows on TV these days - and I don't mean the supernatural stuff, or the lame kind that does seem to float from one season to the next - but I mean solid stuff, like in the 90's and up to Star Trek Voyager. If there was a Star Wars TV show....well, it might even bring back the franchise to where it was before the prequel disasters hit.[/citation]

Plenty on sifi network

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]Wouldn't be difficult. I'd rather it be more like Serenity, than Star Trek. Being a rough around the edges, and mostly good but being bad when it works better to get to the good result kind of lead. A Star Wars Old Republic era with a bounty hunter / smuggler captain with his Jedi and non-Jedi crew tearing sh!t up.[/citation]

Firefly was an awesome show, how it got canceled really sux, josh whedon is one of my favorite writers and directors. That show was really unique. Personally, call it sacrilege but I've never cared for Star Wars, I mean the scifi opera is cool and all, but always preferred Star Trek.

uz13l

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]However, if they try to "reboot" the whole series, there will be no end to the number of babies I'll punch in the face.[/citation]

:) Epic...

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]Did lucas direct all three? I thought a different director did Empire strike back?[/citation]

Empire is episode 5. Lucas directed 1, 2, 3 and 4.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]knights of the old republiccomicsnovlesextended universe...look at all that and tell me that starwars cant put out a good story anymore. george lucas is to blame for ep 1-3, apparently nobody told him no on those movies, if he is out of the picture, its possible to go to a different time, and a new story and have a great film... at the very least, it cant be worse than the ep 1-3also... look at star wars when it came out... it was MADE to SELL TOYS, it was ALWAYS for KIDS AND TEENS, it just hit a far larger audience at the time. not just a non edited version, put out a bluray where you can select the version you want to see, not because the 1997 version is better, but because we shouldn't sweep the mistake under the rug either... hell maybe they will submit the original into the film archive... something george wouldn't let happen because we wanted to submit the edited version and they wouldn't take it.[/citation]

No when the first Star Wars was released in 1977 they did not have any toys on the market based on the movie. It was not ill 1978 that the toys start appearing on the shelves. The movie was out for a year or so. Lucas seen the money making potential of licensing and made more money on toys then on the movies.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]Empire is episode 5. Lucas directed 1, 2, 3 and 4.[/citation]

Lucas had script writers for 4 and 5. That is why they are so good. You can see the quality go down him with 6 because he was trying to script writing.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I've waited in line with my best friend to see all episodes on opening day since we were children. The first movie my Mom dropped us off with some KFC and the wait was 6 hours with the line wrapped around the building, and the next two we drove ourselves and there was always a long line. Episodes I-III I was living out of state and flew in to be with my life long friend to see a movie that has always brought out the kids in us. The line still was long, so was the wait, and still after all of those long years those who go to opening day open the movie with cheering and share the same excitement.

Though the years my best friend and I have been on TV three times and interviewed twice. It might all sound different to you and that's fine, but everybody has their 'thing' this is ours. No I don't collect Star Wars memorabilia, except for the movies themselves so all through VHS to Blu-Ray I own every single release and variation but that's it.

So as soon as I know the release dates I'm booking my flight to be with my best friend for a day that I know will be exciting even if I'm in a walker for that last movie. However, we'll probably wait in the lines again and forgo Fandango, it's all part of the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.