Display not working

Kubo__

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
Hello, My laptop is DELL Inspiron 1545. The problem is that my display isn't working. Tried to connect to external monitor but doesn't work. Tried to change my RAM(got another laptop) but it didn't help either. When I press power button LEd starts to shine and i hear the sound of fan so i don't have any idea where the problem could be.

Solution
If there are sounds inside the device, meaning it is actually on and the display just isn't, and you couldn't see anything on an external monitor, then your graphics card/GPU is probably toast and needs to be replaced. Which may mean the motherboard needs to be replaced.

You may want to try an external monitor again first, using the instructions below, to make sure it actually won't show. Most times just connecting the monitor when the device is on doesn't work.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two...
If there are sounds inside the device, meaning it is actually on and the display just isn't, and you couldn't see anything on an external monitor, then your graphics card/GPU is probably toast and needs to be replaced. Which may mean the motherboard needs to be replaced.

You may want to try an external monitor again first, using the instructions below, to make sure it actually won't show. Most times just connecting the monitor when the device is on doesn't work.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then as stated above, it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution