DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Output

MikeyMarc

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
I just bought myself an Asus Swift PG278Q gaming monitor. When I bought it I was led to believe it had both DisplayPort and HDMI, to which I later found out its limited to the DisplayPort. I have an Alienware 17 R3 laptop with an HDMI 2.0 output. Is it possible to connect my laptop to the monitor with a DP to HDMI adapter? Will it support 2560 × 1440? If not I'll just take back the monitor if possible. If that's the case what kind of monitor should I get? If I could use both my laptop and my Xbox one with the same monitor that'd be a plus.

Solution
Also psoohoo is right. You can't go DP from monitor to hdmi of laptop. I was thinking the other way around for some reason which would have worked. I find it pretty odd that that monitor does not have an HDMI but it seems it only has DP and usb 3.0. Best bet is to replace it with a different monitor.

If you want something that works with xbox once (which I assume has hdmi) then just buy any monitor with an hdmi. I personally buy asus, but that's just me.

himynameisraz

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
Doesn't Alienware 17 R3 come with a DisplayPort? So just connect to the monitor using that? But to answer your question, yes you can use a DP to HDMI adaptor. That's what I do at work. You may also be able to try to get a usb to VGA adaptor, but I think DP to HDMI will be cheaper.

MikeyMarc

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016

My alienware does not have DP. I could have chosen to add a DP port but I didn't think it would be necessary at the time.

himynameisraz

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
Also psoohoo is right. You can't go DP from monitor to hdmi of laptop. I was thinking the other way around for some reason which would have worked. I find it pretty odd that that monitor does not have an HDMI but it seems it only has DP and usb 3.0. Best bet is to replace it with a different monitor.

If you want something that works with xbox once (which I assume has hdmi) then just buy any monitor with an hdmi. I personally buy asus, but that's just me.

Solution