Diving into unknown territory

martinb3152

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
Hello everyone, I am new here, so i don't know if this is the right forum to asking this but I have a chance to service lenovo desktop's and laptops thru a partner of lenovo. I have a CompTIA+ certification but no actual experience working for a company. I have over 20 years of personal experience on desktops which I have troubleshooted, replace hard drives, keyboards, memory chips and so forth. I want this job but since I have never installed a motherboard in a laptop, is it that difficult? Would I be biting off more than I could chew? I am willing to try it since it can't be that much different than a desktop except smaller and a heck of a lot of more screws. I am just trying to get my foot in the door and they want to hire me. thanks, Martin

Laptops are quite a bit more difficult to deal with than desktops. Tons of small connections close to each other, you often have to remove half the case to get to a part and maybe 5 unrelated parts to dig to it. And all laptops are different in some way, either how the case opens or what you need to remove to get to parts.

To work as an official partner for a service you'd have to go to training.