Divx4.11 and Xmpeg 4.2

G

Yesterday, I used Divx 4.11 and Xmpeg 4.2a. The performance of SSE/MMX optimized encoding was AMAZING. Here is my performance results:

1) Xmpeg (the one before 4.2a) + Divx 4 + Reference iDCT = 13 hours of encoding (single pass). Average FPS 3-4.

2) FairUse, 12-13 hours of encoding.

3) Xmpeg 4.2a + Divx 4.11 + Divx MP3 128Kbits 48KHz + SSE/MMX optimized encoding (not reference iDCT) = 4 hours of encoding (Dual pass). Average FPS 20-21.

The overall size of the result is almost the same, 1.2GByte. But the quality of the last encoding is simply amazing, much better than single pass encoding.

There is one question though. I can not play avi files with "The Playa" when using Divx 4.11 codec. Is that normal? I can play them with Windows Media player but it plays a bit jerky. Every 4-5 seconds the movie holds for a mere 0.5 seconds. I have no such problems with my other Divx encoded files (They are coded with Divx Codec 4).

Any ideas guys?

Regards,

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Let me see if I understand you correctly. X4.2 with divx 4.11 runs really fast but does not play correctly with ANY player. Correct? If this is true then I would not use that combination. Also a 1.2G file is a bit of a waste if you plan to burn. You would get better quality if you filled up two disks completely.

My version of "The Playa" works fine for divx3.11 and 4.01 but I've not tried it on anything else. If you want speed and final size predictability and 2 pass encoding learn how to use Nandub. Nandub using 3.11 is just as fast as Xmpeg using 4.11 and 3.11 is a lot easier on the player.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

G

I think I found where the problem is. Its not the combination of xmpeg + divx4.11, or The Playa. Yesterday, by mistake, I saw that the movie I am trying to convert has a detected frame rate of 23.976. I believe this strange value is responsible for jerky playback.

Anyhow, this evening I'll try it with FairUse. If it ends up the same, then there is a problem with the movie (Final Fantasy).

I will also try to re-code one of my Divx4.01 coded movies with Divx 4.11 and see what happens. In fact, I will re-rip the DVD and start the conversion from scratch.

I agree with you that 1.2Gb is not optimum. I use 700Mb large CDs. So I better increase the quality :)

BTW, that Nandup stuff, I am tired of playing with it :) No go for me!!!

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've done FF with FU and it turned out great. I'll burn you a copy if you can't get it. BTW when using FU it usually auto detects if you need to keep the original 29.whatever frames or if you can inverse telecline it to 23.976. Most movies will telecline to 23.976 with no problem and that saves 20 percent in space over 29fps or increases quality about 20 percent in the same file size.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.