Do All New Smart TVs Require a Smartphone?

ftresi

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
I just bought a Vizio E32-D1 Smart TV and was surprised that it seems you can't really do anything besides watching OTA channels without a Smartphone and the Smartcast app. You need the app even to control the TV settings, I have another Vizio Smart TV that's about 4 years old and everything can be done directly on the TV with the remote.

Are all the new Smart TVs like this, or just the Vizios? I was also considering a Samsung. Do the Samsungs also require a smartphone app?

Hello there.

I think only Vizio did that with their SmartCast series. It's a really bad idea, so I don't think many other companies followed suit. Most Smart TV by Samsung/LG/etc come with their own remote and have all features available with it.

You can always verify if the remote even has a MENU button...if it doesn't, like the Vizio, then chances are you might have issues. ^^; But I don't think I've seen any Samsung without a quality remote and accessibility.

ftresi

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016

So I'm considering two options now:

1) Return the Vizio and get instead something like the Samsung J525D which doesn't rely on a Smartphone app to control the smart features of the TV or.

2) Return the Vizio and get a plain dumb TV like the Samsung J5003 and put the money I saved towards a Roku stick.

Any thoughts about which is better? I kinda like the flexibility of the Roku over whatever is built-in to the TV.

Personally, I'd get a TV without SMART and simply get Roku. Many "smart" TVs are simply too slow or have bad browsers at that price point. Sure, it can't browse internet...but with any new hardware like the Roku stick or Apple TV, it can do that and even more than the Samsung smart software.

Just get one that has a great picture and sound, and then add in functionality with Roku/etc. More remotes, but less hassle down the line when Samsung decides to not support your TV anymore and no more updates are available.

If Roku has what you want, just get a "normal", cheaper TV with a great picture, and buy a Roku. ^^

Rick_95

Prominent
Feb 8, 2017
Vizio has taken a bold step in making their smartcast displays for the modern aspect of how we view our video stuff. The younger generation will absolutely love this aspect! This is the way most of them watch their video stuff. Smartcast is a tuner-less tv (or simply a display) designed for streaming, apps, cable; no antenna (local) stuff. It is undoubtedly the wave of the future, as many are cutting the cable cord. Kudos for Vizio!! However, if you do not care too much for the streaming or app stuff, you can still enjoy cable (just no antenna stuff). For that enjoyment, you do not really need a remote phone or tablet The remote that comes with the tv is sufficient enough; maybe the time needs to be set remotely though, with one of the phone or tablet remote devices. The factory setup is perfect, so no need for tweaking controls that you will find probably on the phone or tablet remote devices. Recommendation: It is a superb display for the money. Keep it! And if you want to see your younger genrations kids fall in love with something, buy a separate one for them. The latter would be a wise investment. Because they will learn and show you all the glory and good stuff that can be done with this Smartcast TV (actually display).

JeanPrince

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Rick, Do you work for Vizio? The problem is they really don't reveal until after purchase that it requires SMART Phone/IPAD
app for connecting to the menu settings. Additionally, Best Buy only gives you 15 days to return. Better check it out fast so you can return.