Do Amplifiers and DAC's make headphones sound better?

Nov 17, 2018
I'm planning on buying ATH ws1100iS and I've heard about amplifiers and dac's but I don't know a whole lot about the subject. I've seen YouTube videos of people saying that solid state amps and tube amps can make your headphones sound better but I don't want to spend my money before I know that that's right. If I were to buy an amp, would I need to buy a DAC with it?

Solution
A quality, clean source can't hurt. A DAC or Digital to Analog Converter takes a digital audio file and converts it to analog waveform that is audible ie. sounds. An amplifier amplifies the signal from a DAC to usable levels to power transducers ie. speakers and headphones.

Those headphones you listed are made to plug into a smartphone. They have an inline microphone and are low impedance and high sensitivity. They will work just fine from a phone. SUBJECTIVELY they will sound better from a dedicated dac/amp.

drivinfast247

Proper
May 29, 2018
A quality, clean source can't hurt. A DAC or Digital to Analog Converter takes a digital audio file and converts it to analog waveform that is audible ie. sounds. An amplifier amplifies the signal from a DAC to usable levels to power transducers ie. speakers and headphones.

Those headphones you listed are made to plug into a smartphone. They have an inline microphone and are low impedance and high sensitivity. They will work just fine from a phone. SUBJECTIVELY they will sound better from a dedicated dac/amp.

Solution

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Zoleek : "Do Amplifiers and DAC's make headphones sound better?"