Do I get better upconversion of DVDs with Blu-ray players with 4k upconversion or with UHD Blu-ray players?

Oct 17, 2018
I want to get the best possible picture from DVDs. I will not upgrade any of them to HD Blu-ray discs or UHD blu-ray disks anytime soon.

Do DVDs look better if played in UHD Blu-ray players than when played in regular HD Blu-ray players with 4k upconversion? I will be using an HD and not a 4k TV.

Are the upconversion capabilities of a UHD Blu-ray player any better than those of a 2015 Sony Blu-ray player? Are these algorithms getting any better? Do UHD player manufacturers care about DVD upconversion at all? I don't care if I cannot play UHD discs in a HD Blu-ray player. I only care about DVDs and maybe plain HD blue-ray Discs.

Can I expect better upconversion algorithms from a cheap UHD Blu-ray player (something less than $100) or a mid-range HD Blue-ray player (Like the Sony BDP-S6700)?

Who has the edge on upconversion algorithms Samsung, Sony, Panasonic?

Oct 17, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from smoothbikerides : "DVD Upscaling using Blu-ray with 4k Upconverter or UHD Blu-ray player?"

Do DVDs look better if played in UHD Blu-ray players than when played in regular HD Blu-ray players with 4k upconversion? I will be using an HD and not a 4k TV.

Are the upconversion capabilities of a UHD Blu-ray player any better than those of a 2015 Sony Blu-ray player? Are these algorithms getting any better? Do UHD player manufacturers care about DVD upconversion at all? I don't care if I cannot play UHD discs in a HD Blu-ray player. I only care about DVDs and maybe plain HD blue-ray Discs.

Can I expect better upconversion algorithms from a cheap UHD Blu-ray player (something less than $100) or a mid-range HD Blue-ray player (Like the Sony BDP-S6700)?

Who has the edge on upconversion algorithms Samsung, Sony, Panasonic?

It depends on how good the conversion is in the player versus the TV. Upconversion to 4k is irrelevant when you use an HD TV but a more expensive player will do a better job.
Since there is a race to make disc players as cheap as possible the upconversion is an area that most manufacturers skimp on. An older more expensive HD BD may well look better than a new cheap UHD BD player.
The recently discontinued Oppo players were $500 and $1200. The new Pioneer player is about $1000. The top of the line Sony is $500 so I wouldn't put a $100 player in the midrange.
I do like Sony for their video processing.

Oct 17, 2018

Thanks for your your answer. I have an 2013 or so LG HDTV with OK upconversion, but I can tell my DVDs look much better when played with Blu-ray player than when I use a good plain DVD player. This suggests that the HD BD player has a better upconverter than the HDTV.

Now I wonder: Is there is an affordable BD player --HD or UHD- that can make the picture even better?