Do I have a virus?

Buniculbroscoi

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
Hello. I usually surf carefully as I know most of the "Web traps", but today I fell like a newbie, when I downloaded a rar file from the Web. The first thing I did was to scan the rar with eset smart security, which did not find any threats. After that I opened the rar file. It contained the .exe file, and the instructions .txt . I opened the txt file which had a link to a website that was not seem dangerous, however I closed the page and went back to the rar file and clicked the .exe file. What concerns me is that the exe file didn't open because it needed a password. Then I realised that I have been most likely fooled, I deleted the rar file and did the following steps:
1) I immediately closed Internet connection
2) I checked processes
3) I scanned dozens of time with eset
3) I cleaned temp files
4) opened safe mode and and ran eset online rogue tool and eset processes fix tool ( to fix processes directories)
5) now I am scanning with Microsoft online tool with no results so far.

I am very concerned because all the scans I did with eset Did not find anything, all the processes were correct eset online tools did not find threats, and my system seems to function normally .. do I have a virus ? Excuse my long post but I hope you guys accept my challenge.
Cheers

Solution
Hi there,

Without any actual problems arising from this rar file, it is unlikely there is a virus at all.

You seem to have done a pretty good scan, include virus scans with your antivirus programme and if you feel inclined run spybot search and destroy.

But if all your scans show up nothing and you're not experiencing any issues with your PC or any strange behavior then you're virus free.

Just in the future be proactive with the files you download. Don't download anything from sites that don't look right. Or ones that ask surveys etc. Scan all files you download and only run exe files if you are sure what they do and where they came from

Hope this helps,

Regards

BennyJi

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hi there,

Without any actual problems arising from this rar file, it is unlikely there is a virus at all.

You seem to have done a pretty good scan, include virus scans with your antivirus programme and if you feel inclined run spybot search and destroy.

But if all your scans show up nothing and you're not experiencing any issues with your PC or any strange behavior then you're virus free.

Just in the future be proactive with the files you download. Don't download anything from sites that don't look right. Or ones that ask surveys etc. Scan all files you download and only run exe files if you are sure what they do and where they came from

Hope this helps,

Regards

Solution

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
I think you're probably a little paranoid. Also, this wasn't even close to a long post. :p

Trust me, what likely happened when you got an exe that required a password... you got spam. Not a virus, simply an executable that tries to get you to go click on a link somewhere that shows you advertising.

Seriously, though - you've done virus scans and your system is working fine. There's no reason to be freaking out at this point.

napster100

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
As BennyJi said, you more than likely are viruse free. The instructions text that had the dodgy looking link in was probably where you'd get the the malware or malicious software from, remember there not all viruses.

However, completing virus scans is a good thing to do anyway, so there's no harm in doing so. We all have our favourite anti-viruses and anti-malware programs, I'm so over the top on the security of my system that I run Microsoft Security Essentails, Malware Bytes and also Spy Bot for all three areas, since using all three a virus, Trojan, worm or any other malicious software has never compromised my system to my (nor the the programs) knowledge apart from one which was detected on another machine and introduced to a second machine via my USB drive for testing on how it acted and what it did so I could help others remove its traces. Malware Bytes also actively blocks malicious websites or website that have been reported to be defaced by hackers and malicious public IP addresses which is also a liable service I recive.

Those are my suggestions, it may influence you on security options.

napster100

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

I know this isn't my thread, but I'm interested in other security options and software, maybe editing your post and including them could also be beneficial for OP too?

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

Generally the security setup we like around here is Microsoft's free antivirus (microsoft security essentials on windows 7, you have to search for and download it / windows defender on windows 8, automatic) and a lifetime subscription (for about $25) to Malwarebytes. Gives you real time protection that's light on the system, and two very good quality scanners that together catch almost anything that can work its way into your system.

napster100

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

Ahaaa, I'm now in warrant to use the quote "Two great minds think alike". I use the exact same, but I throw Spybot on top as well to take care of spyware, I see this as all three being protected :) The only that's left to be dealt with is adware, but this is usually caused by human error by not un-ticking the piggybacking sponsored software that comes with the legit software.