Question How do I permanently disable Windows Virus Protection?

Crunchyhippo

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
I want to get rid of Windows Security/Virus protection, but every method I try fails. I have a file that it sees as a "threat" (it's not). Every time I try and open it, I get a popup telling me "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software," and another popup simultaneously appears at the bottom-right-hand corner titled "Windows Security" simultaneously appears with the words "Virus & threat protection" under it.

I turned off every toggle switch, I think, in Windows Security, and I also made some registry changes (per a trying-to-be-helpful article online) which did nothing (I was going to post an image, but this forum only allows URLs). Another article suggested I modify the group policy, but that only works with Windows 10 pro versions, not home versions. This Windows Security is like a sticky tar-baby that I can't wait to be rid of.

Crunchyhippo

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
So, if I install, say, Malwarebytes Antimalware, it would automatically disable Windows Security/Virus protection? Are you sure? Otherwise, I would have two battling security programs to deal with.