Do I need a document converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Hi, I have used "Open Office" on my laptop in the past with Win7. Now I tried to transfer some if those files to my Android Nexus7.
I get the message about "Text Encoding 1252". (??) I was impossible for me to use the "save as" function and I have changed the file extension from "odt" to .doc.....txt....rtf
Nothing works. In desperation I uninstalled Open Office and downloaded "MS Word Starter 2010" but I'm still having the same problem.
Do I need a File Converter? If so, which one would you recommend?
I would not mind buying MS Word but all I need is a simple word processor. With MS Word I would be paying for a lot of things I would never use.
From what I have seen so far, Word Starter2010 has all the features I would ever need. My problem so far probably seems very silly but I just can't find the "delete" switch on the toolbar if I want to delete a document.
If you have Word Starter 2010, what is your experience? Do I need a file converter??
I would appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks in advance.

Solution
You might try this: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/convert-openoffice-odt-word-docx/
The tutorial instructs you to do the following:
1. Right click on the file you wish to convert
2. Click on Open With
3. Choose WordPad
4. Once the document is open click the File menu to the left of the Home menu
5. Save As Office Open XML document
6. Open the document in Word

As far as I know you can't delete a document from inside of Word. You would need to go to Windows Explorer, find the file you want to delete, delete the file (press the delete key to send it to the Recycle bin or Shift+Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin and delete the file.
You might try this: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/convert-openoffice-odt-word-docx/
The tutorial instructs you to do the following:
1. Right click on the file you wish to convert
2. Click on Open With
3. Choose WordPad
4. Once the document is open click the File menu to the left of the Home menu
5. Save As Office Open XML document
6. Open the document in Word

As far as I know you can't delete a document from inside of Word. You would need to go to Windows Explorer, find the file you want to delete, delete the file (press the delete key to send it to the Recycle bin or Shift+Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin and delete the file.

Reactions: bkdroid13
Solution

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thank you so much for your advice! I didn't get a chance to reply sooner.
It's working very well. Thank you!!
As for deleting a file in Word2010.....I should have known that I delete it in my documents folder (it was really a silly question...)
Anyway, thank you for your suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.