Do i need amp/soundcard?, and should i get the M50x headset or DT990 Pro?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jeezygy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
Hello guys,
I'm going to build a pc and i need good audio with that.
I'm thinking about getting the
Audio Technica ATH-M50x
Or the
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm.
So what headset should i get?

And i also need help with getting a amp or soundcard if i need one, my mobo is going to be the
MAXIMUS VII HERO
So will i need a amp or soundcard
and will the audio be better if i use one?

Solution
The Aune T1 MK2 have an Edge over Bravo of course, and if you are interested of how your PC system sound with or without external DAC then the Aune T1 MK2 is the one that have that option. But if you just want to make sure your DT990 is handled right then Bravo V2 is capable of that.

If you get the Bravo V2 is then you'll probably want to add computer fan to help it cool a bit because class A tube gets really hot, it's good for winter though :) I would probably do the same anyway if it's me; and if you're thinking on adding an external DAC later then you could try a cheap DAC like those bellow first.

http://www.amazon.com/Orei-DA21-Optical-Converter-Headphone/dp/B008EPW7TA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1422635836&sr=8-12&keywords=DAC...

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Never mind, my mistake I check the Op-amp data, I thought its design for higher voltage. Although, If I make one of these design, I would probably put a NiMH battery or better yet Lithium-Ion and have an power connector for charging too. Hmm, it's an interesting project.... I wonder what capacitor that comes with it?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
i was checking at the design and found that there is not circuit protection on this thing. For average Joe, they would not know what hit them why their cans (headphone) rattles/scratchy or busted? The op-amp is efficient and there's probably enough warning to figure-out what is happening and turn it off.

Few things I would add on the design:
1 modify power supply but that's up to its owner I suppose. 9V alkaline would probably run for 7 - 10 hours and I see rated at 10 hrs
2 circuit protection
3 move the light indicator out of the can or replace cover a clear plastic cover
4 add a 1/4 TSR jack which mean revise circuit board
5 install terminal for charging connection with optional power supply - however this is questionable as there's a reason why it uses battery as power supply. Clean power. Maybe a TLE2426 as I see on other design will eliminate the noise.

To Jeezygy, few things you need to be aware of if you get cmoy amp. Don't fall sleep with it ON or don't forget to turn it OFF when not in use and replace the battery when you see the light inside gets dimmer or when you hear the sound distorted. Failing to do so may damage your headphone. There's no circuit protection for you headphone on this.

jeezygy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
I asked the guy you told me to get, the one i linked the first time;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131412428631

Is that right that you wantedme to get the first one i linked right?

So i sent a message to the guy who is selling it and asked this;

Will this cmoy amp be able to run the DT990
Pro 250ohm headphones?
Or will i need something more powerful?

And he answered;

Hi,
My amp should drive your Beyerdynamics without clipping if you use an adapter. On battery power, the amp will sound nice, but will not have sufficient current to adequately support the DT990's. I doubt any battery powered amp would.
Best,
BSG.
--------

Ok so thats whats he answered is that a good answer?
It didn't sound so good when he said
"but will not have sufficient current to adequately support the DT990's. I doubt any battery powered amp would"

So is this good or bad?

If i need to get something else what would be good just maybe as a normal amp?
I want it to be good and simple.

Maybe the ;
Bravo Audio V2 Class A 12AU7 Tube Multi-Hybrid Headphone Amplifier

Would work?
Whats the difference with the bravo audio v2 and the Aune T1 Mk2 ?
The t1 is waay more expensive and the Bravo audio v2 is cheaper and has so many reviews..
But would the V2 be able to run the dt990 pro 250ohm ?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Aune T1 MK2 comes with DAC and it's multi function. While the Bravo Audio V2 is just an amp.Couple of years back I tried the original at the store with a pair of Sennheiser 300 ohms headphones and it sounds good but it was $165. This is version 2 but I think it's as good as the first.

Here's the one I tried at the store - http://www.amazon.ca/Bravo-Audio-Ocean-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QKSVI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422517941&sr=1-1&keywords=bravo+audio

here are the other versions

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=bravo+audio&rh=n%3A667823011%2Ck%3Abravo+audio

By the way, use latex gloves when handling the tube so you don't get finger oil on it. I'll decrease its life span.

jeezygy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
So you think i should get the Bravo audio v2 over the Aune t1 mk2,
What is the difference like ,
I know the t1 comes with a dac but does that make it sound better compared to the v2?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The Aune T1 MK2 have an Edge over Bravo of course, and if you are interested of how your PC system sound with or without external DAC then the Aune T1 MK2 is the one that have that option. But if you just want to make sure your DT990 is handled right then Bravo V2 is capable of that.

If you get the Bravo V2 is then you'll probably want to add computer fan to help it cool a bit because class A tube gets really hot, it's good for winter though :) I would probably do the same anyway if it's me; and if you're thinking on adding an external DAC later then you could try a cheap DAC like those bellow first.

http://www.amazon.com/Orei-DA21-Optical-Converter-Headphone/dp/B008EPW7TA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1422635836&sr=8-12&keywords=DAC

http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422635787&sr=8-2&keywords=fiio+d03k

The Barvo does sounds forward, warm and rich to the and mid and a little on highs it has a good bass but not too much. Though it's not perfect to me it sounds better than the FIIO amp. Also you can upgrade it with compatible tube if the sound doesn't match you preference. Just so you know, I've done a test the other day on PC discreet sound-blaster and external FiiO DAC using Monitor speakers and the DAC wins on sound quality. I have to use enhancement on sound-blaster to keep on par with the FiiO DAC.

Solution