Do modern high performance laptop workstations with native res (1920x1200) still exist?

Katie S

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
I've literally looked everywhere.

i am looking for a high end workstation, but i don't want to buy a used/refurbished machine.

Dell XPS used to have models with this res, discontinued.

HP elitebook used to - discontinued

dell alienware laptops had at one point - discontinued

lenovo had a model as well - discontinued

Does ANY major manufacturer support this res any more?

I absolutely need the 1200 height :l and my xps is dieing on me.

15 or 17 inches, doesn't really matter too much i just am wondering if anyone knows of any modern models? thanks.

Solution
Can you go with a higher resolution? I know MSI makes several workstation models with 3K displays (2880*1620)

Lenovo also makes a 3K model, the w540 has an option for 3K if you can find it, it's just not listed as the base configuration, you have to add it on their website when you customize. The base model is $1400 and the extra high-res display is an extra $200 or $270, depending on if you need a color sensor.

Lenovo: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w540/#customize

MSI: You have to find them online, but they are EXPENSIVE

EDIT: Dell also allows you to configure their Precision M4800 with a 3K display. Just look for the fully customizeable model and get what you need. Once you upgrade the panel and graphics...

burdenbound

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

Katie S

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, price is a non-issue, the screen must remain 1920x1200 resolution, it is a requirement that i must meet for a variety of reasons, but i'm looking for models currently in production, the 8000 series of elitebooks have been migrated into the "Z book" series which are fixed at 1080p.
when i do replace my current workstation i will be likely buying a HP elitebook h8760w - i am just trying to see if ANY company still manufactures performance workstations with this resolution. Thank you for the suggestion though.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Can you go with a higher resolution? I know MSI makes several workstation models with 3K displays (2880*1620)

Lenovo also makes a 3K model, the w540 has an option for 3K if you can find it, it's just not listed as the base configuration, you have to add it on their website when you customize. The base model is $1400 and the extra high-res display is an extra $200 or $270, depending on if you need a color sensor.

Lenovo: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w540/#customize

MSI: You have to find them online, but they are EXPENSIVE

EDIT: Dell also allows you to configure their Precision M4800 with a 3K display. Just look for the fully customizeable model and get what you need. Once you upgrade the panel and graphics to accomodate that, it looks like it starts at $1556, but their configurator appears broken since it's giving me an error that the chassis needs to be changed, yet there's only one chassis option. You might have to call Dell directly if you decide to go this route, I'm sure their sales support will help you out.

Solution

Katie S

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Thank you drap - as mentioned before price isn't an issue, and the lenovo model i looked into previously it seems to have extremely poor ratings and reviews, MSI and dell's precision are two laptops i was not aware of in this context, and i'll look into them, thank you