Do MSI laptops run hot even when not gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glitchmaster0001

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015
Hi, I have a question about MSI gaming laptops. Do they tend to run hotter even when not gaming? I thinking about getting the MSI ge62 Apache 276 but I've heard from other people that this laptop runs hot. Is this true? Anyone on here own one? I'm planning on getting this laptop to use as both a school computer and a computer for mild gaming. I do know that this laptop has bad battery life but it's not much of a problem to me as I always keep the charger with me. What is a concern to me is that does this laptop run hot even when not gaming? I went to frys today and saw their display model and when I felt the left palm rest it seemed a bit on the warm side. I just need some constructive feedback on this laptop and weather I should get it or not.

Solution
Most gaming laptops use a quad core i7 CPU, and those tend to run pretty hot (most have a 47W TDP, vs 15W for most typical laptop CPUs). They perform well - basically the same thing as a desktop i7 except clocked a bit slower. They're just hot. You can mitigate the heat a bit by turning off hyperthreading and limiting the max frequency. But it's still a quad core.
Most gaming laptops use a quad core i7 CPU, and those tend to run pretty hot (most have a 47W TDP, vs 15W for most typical laptop CPUs). They perform well - basically the same thing as a desktop i7 except clocked a bit slower. They're just hot. You can mitigate the heat a bit by turning off hyperthreading and limiting the max frequency. But it's still a quad core.

Solution

glitchmaster0001

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015

so even if i dont game the laptop will run hot?

May 4, 2019
I just bought a new gen 9 I7, MSI, 4/28/19 and mine runs hot all the time, just surfing the internet, the fans run constantly at various speeds and speed up considerably every few minutes. I bought a laptop cooler that has 5 fans yesterday, this made no difference, this thing just runs HOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.