Do Registry Cleaners fix Blue Screens?

milkmanjb

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I've never used a Registry Cleaner before, but if it can get rid of the Blue Screens of Death on my Vista PC, I'll buy one ASAP. Do they work? If so do they only make regular computing faster or do they fix errors like BSODs. I downloaded WinASO Registry Optimizer and it found over 400 "errors". Could these be responsible for my regular Blue Screens? The Blue Screens were gone for months and only started again last week.

milkmanjb

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Product
Windows

Problem
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
6/29/2007 2:22 PM

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini062907-03.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 84FD9A20
BCP3: B2000000
BCP4: 00000175
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: 438c9e92-95c6-427a-85d3-81c7ac84c08c

I have a ton of others very similar to this I could share. I also have a problem (that occurred before posting this) where my program will just stop for about a minute. My cursor will change to the busy icon and the status will change to (Not Responding). Sometimes I can use other programs while this is going on. After a minute or so, it will resume. This problem basically coincided with the blue screens. It seemed like a hard drive problem to me but I'm not sure. I bought everything new in February, so they're not old.

Also, I heard a beep yesterday which I think means my CPU was overheating, and then my PC shut itself down (properly, like logged off and everything). I set it to alarm me if it goes over 70C I believe.

So when on of the Registry Cleaning programs said it could stop Blue Screens, that was just a marketing gimmick?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
yes it was a gimmick ;) bsod can be just about anything and there is got to be over 1000 different variations.

can you upload that mini dmp file for me so I can look at it?

can you also post a Hijackthis log also

milkmanjb

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I don't know if you can make sense of this, but this is what I get when I open the .dmp file in Notepad. I get the blue screen a lot after opening a video on collegehumor.com (any video). Basically any video or media could be a trigger. Also it blue screens on the windows logo on startup sometimes, but only immediately after a different blue screen (so far).

[Edit] Removed big thing of stuff.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
no upload it not paste go here: http://yousendit.com/ upload the file then once you it gives you link for download give that link to me ;)

also don't forget the Hijackthis log file

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
sorry for hijackthis the server is down they are working on getting it back, try every couple of hours once its backup post the log.

but as for as your dmp file goes its pointing to hardware problems, but not specific

JQP

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004
Don't give up on HijackThis, it's indispensable. Reminds me I've got to set it up again.

BSOD is bad news. In my experience it means hardware trouble, but I haven't had one in a long time, apart from one or two recently while I was installing something new (a secondary video card if memory serves) and still working out the kinks.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
BSOD can be hardware problems, software conflicts, drivers etc. ;) thats not my opinion, thats from Microsoft themselves ;)

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
In my experience with bsod it was usually the hard drive and, unfortunately, the fix usually involved fixing the hdd including formatting the hdd and a clean install of Windows. Suggest you download and run the diagnostic/repair software from your hdd mfg website on a floppy as a start. But continue with HijckThis as well.

milkmanjb

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Thanks for all your responses. :D I was bent on blaming Vista for a while, but I'm starting to think it could be the hardware, and edklite pretty much confirmed that. This is my first experience building my own system and it's painful to think it's the hardware's fault, but I'll check it out. I'm having some other problems that have popped up recently that seem like they could be cured buy a reg cleaner, so I may yet try that out, too.

What exactly does Hijackthis do?

Edit: I opened up my Device Manager and under Portable Devices, USB Storage CFC- had a yellow sign on it. It says the device cannot start. I think this is my Internal card reader I have installed. I also update my Graphics card driver from nvidia recently. I don't remember if this was before the first blue screen but it was before it got really bad.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
reg cleaners don't fix any problem they just clean registry, so don't' waste your money on nothing.

hijackthis is a tool and runs and tells you what services and processes you are running.

if you install and run CCleaner it has registry cleaner but always make sure you know what you are doing and backup your whole registry before you do any editing ;)

JQP

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004
BSOD can be hardware problems, software conflicts, drivers etc. ;) thats not my opinion, thats from Microsoft themselves ;)

No doubt - just relating my experience. I had a rash of them years and systems ago and they were almost always hardware (driver/irq/bad hardware) related.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I understand that JQP my posts are most time for people reading the threads, I just want the readers to know that if they see a BSOD they don't think its hardware for sure but understand that it can be anything and should keep their options of what it can be open thus being able to solve their problem faster ;)

milkmanjb

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
For the time being, I've decided to reinstall Vista on a new partition to start from scratch. I'll probably install Windows XP on the old partition eventually because I'm tired of this happening. Thanks for helping.

moconroe

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
It could be the CPU is getting too hot...
See if the fan is spinning? Not, get a new one.

If spinning then take the fan off the heat sink and clean the gobs dust off it.
If theres a ton of dust on it, do the same to all the other fans/sinks!
Turn your Comp off when you vacum! Just running a carpet vacum around your Comp will fill it up with crap!

If thats not the prob then reinstall the Opr.