Do Windows 10 Phones Stand a Chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sizzling

Distinguished
I do think they have a mountain to climb and App support is a big problem but I really hope MS can overcome this. As someone with both Windows Phone and Android phone (personal and work) and a recent user of iOS I do find myself preferring Windows Phone (Lumia 930) and I believe others would if they could get over the stigma that seems to be around Windows products. I will definitely be upgrading to one of the new 950's

reactive

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
"And to make full use of Continuum, you'd have to shell out for the new Microsoft Display Dock, and would need a monitor, keyboard and mouse handy. That's not a very portable package."

That's a bit of a daft statement. Most of my work colleagues lug around a big laptop (and a smartphone) and what do they do with the laptop when they come into work? Plug it into a docking station with an attached mouse, keyboard and big monitor! Now, if that laptop could be replaced entirely by the smartphone alone, it's a winner.

Regarding user-replaceable batteries: "Apple has sold hundreds of millions of iPhones without them.."
That's because the vast majority of iPhone users probably never considered such a practical thing as battery life. Their iPhone is virtually a religious artefact, and no matter how bad value for money it is The Sign Of The Apple is all that matters. If the battery fails, they'll just spend another fortune on a whole new phone.

Andytech

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
I bet the people who just bought the IPhone 6s wish they could replace a battery beings they last less than 6hours, perhaps they should rebrand IPhone 6hourS

CherlynnLow

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
LOL @Andytech that's kinda hilarious.

@Techyinaz and @Reactive, I totally agree about Continuum being useful for those who lug around all that stuff. It just isn't portable for me. I'd rather carry around just my laptop than a monitor, mouse, keyboard and dock. When I'm walking around the showfloor at CES, I can just sit in a corner and open up my laptop. I can't do that with that full setup... I can see the great uses though, like the hotel example Techyainaz mentioned =)

@Sizzling be sure to let me know what you think, if you do upgrade! @Guanyu210379 hmm we'll have to see =)

Agreed. I personally would prefer a laptop. However for somebody that only has a smartphone and only needs a big screen at a desk, then I could see this being good.

Again though, it's not for everybody. There are better solutions out there. :)

Andytech

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015

Andytech

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
Yes I agree carrying extra bits and bobs when a laptop or tablet would be more appropriate. And it will probably be enterprise that will make best use of continuum but there are personal and fun solutions it can be used for. Not being its only attribute what makes this stand out is its a work horse,like a Swiss Knife multiple uses. If you look at the other options out there they are just overpriced toys hence why so many kids have them

Status
Not open for further replies.