Do Windows Server versions boost internet speed and stability?

Rafael Mestdag

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
And also, are Windows server versions like 2016 like stripped versions of normal desktop Windows? Is that why they feel so much faster in general?

Solution
https://www.ivanti.com/blog/windows-10-windows-server-2016-old-battle-vdi-versus-rdsh/

"Windows 10 and Server 2016 look very much alike in terms of interface. Under the hood, the real difference between the two is simply that Windows 10 provides Universal Windows Platform (UWP) or “Windows Store” applications, whereas Server 2016 – so far – does not. Therefore, if you have any requirement for the provision or usage of UWP applications, then RDSH is not yet a viable option.

But that aside, there is no real difference from a user interaction or experience perspective. The decision needs to be driven by other factors... "

IMO W10 as a clean install runs really fast. Even on my dad's old laptop with a slow SSD, 2GB system memory etc it...

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
They have less BS running out of the box, relying on technicians to install and run what they need generally. Desktop versions are so full of startup bloat I can barely stand it.

Networking;
Well, all versions of the OS use the same network stack, lower versions of windows (like Home) have artificial limits on max sockets and connections they are allowed to open and things of that nature to help differentiate the product lines.Server version do have special network features like NIC teaming etc, but really, that doesn't make them faster on a per NIC basis, just more flexible to different use case scenarios.

Also remember when you sit at a server console, there's often 24 or 32 threads of horsepower, lots of RAM and a really expensive RAID array to feed you data.

Rafael Mestdag

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014

That's very interesting! But what would be the advantages of running say, Windows Server 2016 on a normal desktop - in my case an i5 3570K@3.8Ghz and 12GB DDR3 ram? And when I say advantages, I mean for normal everyday use, like gaming and surfing on the net and video editing etc?

Personally I feel like everything runs a little faster than on other Windows versions. What do you think?

https://www.ivanti.com/blog/windows-10-windows-server-2016-old-battle-vdi-versus-rdsh/

"Windows 10 and Server 2016 look very much alike in terms of interface. Under the hood, the real difference between the two is simply that Windows 10 provides Universal Windows Platform (UWP) or “Windows Store” applications, whereas Server 2016 – so far – does not. Therefore, if you have any requirement for the provision or usage of UWP applications, then RDSH is not yet a viable option.

But that aside, there is no real difference from a user interaction or experience perspective. The decision needs to be driven by other factors... "

IMO W10 as a clean install runs really fast. Even on my dad's old laptop with a slow SSD, 2GB system memory etc it starts and runs very quickly.

Things slowed down a lot due to the added APPLICATIONS, though frankly that's mainly just from a cold boot. W10 is very responsive once things load up (a minute or so).

I doubt SERVER 2016 would benefit the average desktop user.

Solution

derekullo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
There are no advantages for gaming or normal use.

You are simply out the $800 to $6000 it would take to buy a copy of Windows 2016 Server.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/windows-server-pricing

Microsoft would be happy to sell you a copy, but people may look at you strangely.

You will be able to do fancy things like setup domain controllers, active directory, DNS, HyperV, create your own exchange server and much more.

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Hyper V is already built into Windows 10 anyhow, you are missing a few functions like Live migration of virtual machines from one host to another Hyper-V Replica Virtual Fiber Channel SR-IOV networking Shared .VHDX but nothing show stopping.

Really, running a server OS when you don't need it isn't worth it.

USAFRet

Illustrious
They are not 'stripped down'.
It is not even a case of "less BS running", just "different BS running".
Win 10 Home has more consumer oriented stuff, Win 10 Pro has more corporate level stuff, Server2016 has more server level stuff.

You just have to turn off different things, to get to the same place.

Unless you actually need the Server functions (highly unlikely), it is no different.
Now...back in the days of XP/Vista and Server2003, you would have seen a difference. Of course, that was 15 years ago.