Do you guys prefer 2.1 satellite or 2.1 with bookshelf speakers?

nipplethewhale

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
I am looking to upgrade my desktop sound setup used mainly for music with a bit of games on the side. My current "shopping cart" includes the AudioEngine A5+ paired with either the Polk Audio PSW10 Subwoofer or the Dayton Audio 1200 12" Sub all hooked up to the AudioEngine D1 Dac.

I read that the A5+'s low end bleeds into the mid range. Should I ditch the AudioEngine A5+ all together and just get a pair of satellite speakers with the sub? If so, which satellite speakers would you recommend.

This entire setup is going to be on my desk about 4 feet apart with the sub maybe being behind me or under the desk in the corner.

Solution
It's called a subwoofer because there is supposed to be bass coming from the woofer in the main speakers.
When you use a "sat" speakers with a tiny mid-woofer and cabinet there is a huge suck out in the part of the bass that the sub doesn't handle. It's pretty much where the kick in a kick drum happens so it's very noticeable.
Above 100hz bass becomes directlonal and you don't want to hear sound coming from the sub so the area from about 80hz up is supposed to come from the main speakers.
What this means in real life is that if the main speakers get too small they no longer work as well with a subwoofer. Bookshelf is better than "sat".
It's called a subwoofer because there is supposed to be bass coming from the woofer in the main speakers.
When you use a "sat" speakers with a tiny mid-woofer and cabinet there is a huge suck out in the part of the bass that the sub doesn't handle. It's pretty much where the kick in a kick drum happens so it's very noticeable.
Above 100hz bass becomes directlonal and you don't want to hear sound coming from the sub so the area from about 80hz up is supposed to come from the main speakers.
What this means in real life is that if the main speakers get too small they no longer work as well with a subwoofer. Bookshelf is better than "sat".

Solution