Do you send laptops to brand's service centre for repair after warranty expires?

ba_serpent

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
I have an Asus ROG. Basically it has a few broken keys + keys behaving as if it's being held down so a dismantling to see if there's critters or dust down there is also in order. But warranty's expired.

So I wonder if you still send in to the brand's service centre for repairs or any repair shop? Because as I've heard the brand's service centre deliberately charge high premium fees if you don't have warranty.

I'm seeking advice. I know this is a ROG, but I am not a very rich person and this baby is all I have. I would not consider sending her for a repair if more and more of these keys weren't behaving weirdly (like the //////////// button keeps spamming sometimes, how the right SHIFT sometimes won't work, how the keys around the / key behave weirdly and suddenly now when I'm typing here now it's normal).

What do you do when warranty expires? The laptop brand's service centre or repair shops?

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ba_serpent : "Question on your experience with expired warranty service"

USAFRet

Illustrious

Me, I'd just replace the keyboard myself, or use a USB external keyboard.

Try connecting an external keyboard to the laptop. Barrow one from work, friend or relative. If you experience the same issue, then it is likely a software issue which may require you to do reinstall of Windows because something got corrupted. There is no specific piece of software that you can simply upgrade to see if it fixes the issue. Basic keyboard functionality is deeply integrated into Windows itself.

If the external keyboard functions normally, then the problem is that laptop's keyboard. You can either bring it to a local PC repair shop to get it replaced, or you can attempt to replace it yourself.

Get the exact model of your laptop and search Youtube to see if there is a video that shows you how to replace the keyboard. For example, search for "Asus ROG ABC123XYZ replace keyboard".

Sending in the laptop to an Asus repair center means you need to pay shipping fees to send and receive the laptop back.