Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1300495

That's fascinating:wahoo:

toyftw

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

I use Avast free version - It has worked well, used Norton & kaspersky that came with the mobo, but
when free time period expired switched to Avast, don't notice a difference.

civers1

Honorable
May 8, 2013
I use AVG free edition, and run SpyBot S&D Tea Timer. When those don't work, and a couple of times they haven't, I reach for MalWare Bytes.
I don't recommend keeping more than 2 anti-malware/ virus programs running at the same time though.

ccualumni

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Microsoft Security Essentials...it is free and it works. Uses limited resources and does not slow my computer down.

julionavarro

Estimable
May 13, 2014
I've always used Avast, it's free, works efficiently, and actually is really light so it won't impact on gaming. I have never had problems with any virus so far.

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Norton used to be one of the most resource heavy, and ineffective products on the market. But not anymore. Norton Internet Security runs silent in the background using almost no resources, its extremely fast on scans, and is better than ANY freeware antivirus product.

Plus its pretty cheap.

I've used just about every product there is out there, AVG, AVAST, McAfee, Kasperskys, TrendMicro, Malwarebyters, and even MSE. Norton is the way to go. NOT Norton 360!!! I'm talking about Norton Internet Security.

Its pretty awesome and does the job.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089470/norton-internet-security-2014-review-polished-security-suite-with-excellent-protection.html

http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Internet-Security-2014-Licenses/dp/B00FGDEPDY/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1412304224&sr=1-1&keywords=norton+internet+security

EasyLover

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
I'm using Kaspersky 2013, bought the license from retailer. So far so good. I'm satisfied with the performance of this AV. That is why I've been using this AV for like 4 years.

Nabeel Farooqui

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
I've used AVG for a few years, got a 1 year subscription of McAfee with a laptop, never used that.
Finally switched to MSE, never looked back :D

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I use MSE / Avast combo. With a weekly scan by Malwarebytes.
They have worked well together for years.
Some times Avast blocks a virus and other times MSE blocks a virus.
I am also behind 2 hardware firewalls and windows firewall.
Have Flash disabled. pop up blocker on and run Abine DO Not Track Me software.
Abine says there are 16 companies trying to track me from this page. Although I do not run Ad blockers. The sites I visit need the ad revenue, such as Tom's.
So I do not get pop ups. Annoying flash ads don't work. I don't get tracking cookies and sites receive their ad revenue.
Seems like a win/win solution.

k1114

Distinguished
MSE on my desktops (w7 on one and 8 comes with it so "nothing" on that one) and gave avast a try on my laptop (w7). I used to use avira but the daily update popup bothered me. Avast slowed it down noticeably that I had to turn down/off some stuff and I keep getting software update thingy popup (paid feature) which is annoying even though I can't/am not even using it. But I've never seen a virus or malware on my home pcs for a couple years. Not a single detection which makes me wonder...

Eagleshadow

Estimable
Jun 6, 2014
I use Windows Defender. It has never failed me. I do not like all the junk ware they try to pawn off on me. Often it seems the antivirus suites are viruses in themselves.

brianjay0914

Estimable
May 5, 2014
I just use WINDOWS DEFENDER . for me virus is just a gimmick. they make u suffer and pay . just be careful on what ur downloading . windows defender can almost detect evrything and free of charge.

have a good day

bazpaul

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
No - AVG free for me.

I cant justify spending more. The free versions have pretty much all teh security you need. The paid versions have silly bells and whistles to attract less tech savvy people!

Status
Not open for further replies.