Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avik Biswas

Honorable
May 7, 2013
After reading all this thread, i finally decide to give Bitdefender another shot, as i had it on windows 7 and it messed up my windows 7 drop shadows(still i used it for 1year!!), since i am on windows 8.1 thought it would be a good idea to give it a shot and damn installation is just horror movie!!

I have used some of the best antivirus and internet security, here is what i found:

Norton 360 = Easy to use and install, Really Fast, and top rated by AV-TEST (my sister's laptop use this, and my favourite).
Bitdefender Total Security 2015 = Installing this is a Nightmare, Super Fast, Looks badass, and this THE TOP-RATED AV-TEST product for years.
Kaspersky 2013 = It is good, but i had some issue with it's update, one of the bad update caused it to freeze whenever check for updates :(
McAfee = Probably the worst, i haven't found any plus point yet :|

i find Norton 360 has the best of everything yet light or no impact on performance at all. I love Bitdefender as it looks really good, but why is it so hard to install!! god knows?? Other than that Bitdefender is my go to product, but i never recommend this to any one as its installation is cubersome. all of my friend use Norton 360, and they love it.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Been using Aviator browser for several days now and I really like it so far. Thanx, Skylyne!

Here's a really good deal:

AVG Protection 2015 1-Year - Download $7.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832620139&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL121614&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL121614&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL121614-_-EMC-121614-Index-_-SecuritySoftwareDownload-_-32620139-S2A10A

In stock. Limit 5 per customer.

Anti-Virus
Online Shield
Data Safe
Anti-Spam
Enhanced Firewall

Unlimited Devices (WOW)

Price expires at midnight, Dec. 22nd pacific time.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

I don't move on from the important things... like proper security. I care because I have to; my identity was stolen a few times, and I'm willing to bet it's still being used to this day. I'd rather not move on ;)

Don't know why people have problems installing Bitdefender. Some software needs a clean computer for the install, and most people don't really know how to fully clean their computer. Could also be some sort of filter driver conflict, or some conflict with the way it's written, and the latest updates in Windows?

Sounds like a good deal, but AVG is another iffy one... kind of like Avast. Kind of difficult for me to call it good lol.

And yeah, you're welcome, mate. Aviator definitely is a nice browser, and seems to have the best combination of speed, functionality, and security of all the browsers I've seen. FF is a joke, Chrome is horrid, IE is taking the piss, and just about every other browser I can think of isn't even really worth mucking around with. There are a few Chrome variants that are notable, but most of them are not much better than the original, or they have a lot of background junk.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

That's very interesting... Have you contacted BD directly, and asked if it's just a bug that will get fixed?

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
Kaspersky is a very good virus protection, I will certainly give it that. However it does cost the $60 so that's the downside, but if you ask me it's one of the more secure. Currently I use Malwarebytes free version, I don't really pay attention too much to virus protection anymore. If you really want to stay safe from viruses, simply watch what sites you go to, and watch what you download.

From a programming aspect (since I program quite a bit), I find it hard how a virus protection can really do too much. For instance, it really would need to modify other programs such as browsers in order for it to secure web browsing since they are independent programs. I don't know too much about VP anyways so maybe I shouldn't be talking :p

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

in a nutshell why is Aviator so great?

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
After doing some quick reading on Aviator.. yep I can see the good points.. tho doesn't store passwords.. ya gotta type in pass's every single time... boring.. truly you gotta be super paranoid to go through the hassle .. I use ghostery and Adblock and use chrome 99 percent of the time.. even shop online.. fairly offend.. Amazon and I are on a first name basis..

If your flying under the radar.. well.. you should invest in your own server.. and do allot of moving around.. hard to keep tabs on you.. if your on the move.. Its just to easy getting tracked these days.. no matter what your defenses are.. look at the guy that invented silk road.. to guy is now doing time.. ran his underground site.. from some library in SF. The Feds caught in the Act while fiddling with his page.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Actually, Aviator will save passwords; there's an option buried in there somewhere. At least, that was an option in a previous release. My personal computer has been down for a couple months now, so I wouldn't know what the latest version does/doesn't have in common with the one I was using. Then again, how is not saving your passwords a bad thing? If you use your browser to save passwords, you leave a giant hole in your security; and this browser is designed for security. Aviator isn't designed to baby the user; it's made for people who take security seriously.

That's a faulty argument, mate, and also a poor suggestion. If you have your own server, you tie yourself to a specific web address; and that isn't a smart idea. If you owned a VPN, on the other hand, that might be a bit better. If you were an ISP, that's even better... you can hide your traffic in the traffic that is sold to customers (or through your VPN).

The guy who ran TSR was an idiot; case closed. The reason people get caught is because they make themselves easy to find, catch, or track. If you're on the run, you also wouldn't be looking at this website; that would show a serious lack of computer knowledge, and you'd probably be caught by the time you finished reading a single page (obviously, that isn't meant literally).

Yes, it's easy to be tracked these days; however, that doesn't mean it's impossible to cover your tracks to make it substantially harder. The more proactive you are, the less likely the casual "trackers" will have an interested in watching you (ie: businesses, Google, etc.), as there are always going to be people who just don't give a damn. Basically, covering your tracks for the sake of privacy, and for some security reasons, is a good idea for those who want to do it. For the people trying to run, they either know what to do, and how to do it, or they're screwed. If you're running, you likely don't have the resources to stay hidden, unless you're a real whiz.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

fast

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

I stay away from anything Google. Google has even publicly stated that users cannot expect any reasonable privacy with any of their services. Google was started with CIA seed money. Not so long ago it was discovered that passwords on Chrome were not secure at all. Shortly afterwards Google announce that they had developed a fix for the passwords problem. Well, Google still has not implemented the fix. Guess they think that most people are idiots (an awful lot are) and all they have to do is say they have a fix and everybody will just go back to sleep.

And I do not save passwords with any browser. I remember them and even change them every so often.

Congress Just Signed Away the Little Privacy You Had Left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtCfdTf8bHQ

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Eye opening to be sure.. the signed bill.. and done so quickly.. But will Obama sign this Bill?? The radio commentator assumes Obama will to increase his power.. eh.. not sure about that. For some might to think of moving out of country.. Moving has been on my mind for some time.. The whole English speaking world is under surveillance .. UK has been doing this for years.. one very paranoid nation, and should be being so close to Europe's door step.

Status
Not open for further replies.