Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiercepin

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
Paid AntiVirus of course. Free isn't bad. But only 1 month free trail and then don't serve well. So paid one is better I think.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

There are some free that performs similar to the paid version. For instance, Avast Free just as good as Avast Pro or Internet Security. The reason you want to get the paid version is if you need those belt and whistle candy stuff that the company offer.

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Avast free for me had it years never had any problems with it
Apart from on occasional false positive usually on things like hex editors

Adam11

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
I used avast free version a few years back, and it did ok. Nowadays I do not use any since I realized that viruses won't just infect the system when you visit a suspicios website or receive a mail containing a malicious software. You have to manually run it to infect your system and I learned to recognize potencial malwares over the years.
When I install a pc for a friend who is "less advanced" user, then I install a free avast for them.

santiano

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I prefer to use paid antivirus instead of free antivirus as it possesses with advanced layer of protection and have the better features than free one. So I recommend to go for the paid one.

santiano

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Well, I had earlier used the free one but it was not up to the mark because of the less features as compared to paid one. So, I switched to paid one. For more security of your valuable data.

Finstar

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
The best AV is your brain. Don't download suspicious stuff and you wont get viruses.
I personally only use the one that comes with windows on my own pc and malwarebytes for removing viruses out of infected pcs.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

True, but with CCleaner incident, we still need antivirus.

This is exactly what I read from an authoritative source - Ask Leo website.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Yeah, that remind me of Equifax security site got compromised and redirected user to a fake Adobe Flash update.

Good point , even legit sites get compromised.

leigh76

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I used AVG Free for yeeeeeears...... recently its changed and gone downhill i think.

Whatever people choose.......itll never be 100% perfect and should never really be used without for example MalwareBytes or similar.......

IMO

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Actually no. Free product can perform good as a paid product such as Avast Free for instance. You can strength your security with anti-exe app such as VoodooShield Free that will lock down your PC for good.

Free product can stop the attack if it have signature for it and behavior blocker. As matter of fact, Avast Free can stop the ransomware attack with its new behavior blocker modules.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

KRACK = Vulnerability on your internet router. None of the security software can stop this attack once hacker manage to intercept your network traffics.

Duhk = Vulnerability on VPN connection. Antivirus can stop the connection between C&C server and your computer, but this must be patch on the VPN side.

Bad Rabbit = Ransomware. All free and paid can stop the attack. Avast can stop the bad rabbit ransomware with its behavior blocker and its whitelisting database. In addition, anti-exe such as AppGuard and VoodooShield Free can stop the attack in the first place when it put in lock down mode.

If free one does not guarantee the safety, than paid one doesn't guarantee the safety either. I have been using a lot of paid products ( Bitdefender, Norton, and ESET), and to be honest, there are couple free one out there can perform identical or better than the paid product.

Windows Defender/Avast Free/ ( antivirus ) + VoodooShield ( anti-exe) + Windows Firewall = best free and light configuration.

None of the security software whether paid or free can protect you 100% all the time, but you can expect 90% protection while other 10% is your common sense.

When your computer get infected, malware or virus running on your PC can render all your security software useless.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

You got hit by WannaCry ransomware than that means your common sense is a main problem here. Avast Free and and VoodooShield Free is the best free combo that will performs as good as Kaspersky and other antivirus paid product. The only suite that worth money to invest is Kaspersky.

What free protection you use in the first place? Windows Defender?

So, let say your paid protection fail you, you will say go with the free one instea or spend another $100 on another product? LAWL.

As matter of fact, paid protection will not guaranteed your safety either. So it doesn't matter whether you go free or paid, your common sense is the one you should work on it. Also, I had a lot of friends that don't use no antivirus at all and they managed to keep their PC clean over a decade. What a surprise ehhh?

IF YOUR COMMON SENSE IS NOT GOOD THAN NOT A SINGLE SECURITY SOFTWARE CAN PROTECT YOU. A COMPUTER CANNOT GET INFECTED WITHOUT HUMAN INTERACTIONS.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
I just use Windows 10's defender.

Update: it actually found a Trojan yesterday while i was updating some stuff on a website called Trello.

Status
Not open for further replies.