Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lindam8016

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and it is free. I use this on my laptop and my desktop. I got rid of my paid antivirus through Best Buy because it was interfering with the software that my employer had placed on my computer. I typed highly sensitive information for this company and my thought was if they are using it, then I am going to use it too, and my computers have been fine.

I just wanted to add that I do run the quick scan on the Microsoft Security Essentials a few times a week or every time I log on just to make sure it is updated and running. If you don't check it, sometimes it will stop running and won't be protecting your computer. I also occasionally run the full scan and occasionally check to see if anything is quarantined or has been detected.

I use the same MSE (Windows Defender) and I run full scans per the recommendation of a reputed tech newsletter that I subscribe to. It does take a few hours and the benefits are worth it! Parallel to this I also use Malwarebytes (paid version) My confidence level in Microsoft products has increased after attending the full-day Microsoft Tech Summit in Chicago, last week.

Norton72

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
I just use Widows Defender in Win10 along with CC Cleaner. I just downloaded AdBlock, we'll see how that goes. I used to use AVG, but after a few years of that I started getting popups wanting me to upgrade several times a day. I switched to Avast, but they started doing the same thing.

Mar 14, 2018
After using Sophos for business for years, they have finally come out with a free consumer product, Sophos Home. Granted, takes awhile to install but have no complaints. Have always had good customer service from them.

Malwarebytes. IMHO, the best program out there.

Have used Avast Free for years, and still use the latest on some Window 7 machines. Haven't had the pop issue mentioned by others. If there are pop-ups, not a big enough deal to notice. Haven't tried AVG Free in ages, but seeing how Avast and AVG are now owned by the same company, I expect performance is pretty much the same.

Sorry, been a Microsoft guy since 1988 and just don't trust MS's ability to quickly respond to new threats.

Mar 20, 2018
I don't use antivirus on mac laptop. As long as I keep avoiding click questionable links or websites and follow Mac updates, it would be good.

activegalaxys

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
I use AVG Internet Secutity. Mainly because it was cheap at the time (£15 for the first year w/ unlimited installs) and it does work. It picked up one virus a couple months ago, and its been fine since. Amazingly, It's particularly light on my poor old Dell, which struggles when playing 720p YouTube, so I'm happy with paying the horrific renewal prices that AVG put into place. Every time I scan I do a deep scan, which helps pick up those nasty viruses.

Of course, I do recommend AVG Free Antivirus if you can't afford Internet Security. And, if you don't like AVG at all, try Avast. It is light on older systems, such as my Dell, and can pick up a lot of viruses and malware if you have a badly infected system. Of course, when using free Antivirus, or any at all, get Malwarebytes. I don't use it because it puts a big strain on the CPU. I didn't intend to ramble on like this...

Mar 27, 2018
I used McAfee for years and it was really good, though it was really very expensive. But now i only use Window Defender for Web security and Malware protection.

ahs89

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
I have been using Avira for many years and it works perfectly fine for me. It consumes less memory and most importantly it does not the bug, again and again, to convert to a paid one.

ridhimasane

Great
May 22, 2018
we initially use the trial version but later on shifted to the paid antivirus which gives some good advantages over other versions.

RolandJS

Estimable
Mar 10, 2017
Awhile back, I began using free AV, AM, etc. on my desktop and two laptops. Later, I migrated to paid versions for AV, AM & etc. Not too long ago, I began dropping one or two at a time AV, AM and related utilities. Now, I've been using Windows 7 Pro Firewall, Windows 7 MSE, Windows Defender, and only one pay-for -- Emsisoft AntiMalware which includes an AV engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.