Does anyone have RTC Batt low message when removing battery on newer Toshiba C55-B series?

WorgenWolf

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
I did last week buy a new Toshiba C55-B5299 notebook locally and now my question is that is it normal that if you take the main battery out and unplug the adapter that powers your notebook and then when you put the battery back and plug the power cord and then I get a RTC batt low message? I basically then I have to put the time and date and then everything works fine. If I keep the battery connected and or the AC plug plugged in then I don't have to ever set the bios time and date again. I talked to Toshiba techs 3 times and two said its normal for this to happen and the last one she said it has a RTC battery and its not the same power from the main battery so it should save the settings even you take the battery out.

Does anyone in here have the same series from Toshiba like mine? I got the newer version of the C55-B series since the battery has two screws to hold it and to take off the led you need to take out 15 screws altogether including the battery. Just wondering if someone has tried this and gets the same message. If not mine might be defective and I have to exchange it and I have 7 days left to do it at OfficeMax locally.

WorgenWolf

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
I did go to OfficeMax today and had one of the tech guys take the battery and unplug the AC cord on there display model of the same notebook and it did the same thing so basically the whole new C55-B series resets the bios when you remove the battery and the AC cord. So the good news is my notebook is working fine.

vereta

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015

Hi

I am from Portugal and bought Toshiba L50D B 13X and happen the same.When i take off the mais battery apear a message " RTC battery is low press to set date/time.When mais battery is on computer this don't happen.Maybe it's normal now,but i have other older computers and this not happen.I contacted toshiba support today and iam waiting for an answer.I will tell here what they said.
But i am not happy since i have to maintain the main battery even i don't need it,i always use only the AC adapter.
I hope other brands of notebook don't have this issue,because next time i will not buy toshiba anymore.

dannybox347

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
The C50-B does NOT have an RTC "separate" battery. The RTC relies on power from the main Laptop battery. It is a new innovation from Toshiba. Prove this by removing the battery (two screws)...the warning sign will then "pop up" next Boot. Or if you open it you will find the RTC battery layout with no hardware next to the hard drive.
This solution is 100% guaranteed to be the answer.

davethetech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009

Thank you. That was exactly what I was looking for. Knowing the battery has 2 screws that insists the user not to remove the battery, was a clue that it would rely on the battery. Not to mention, when looking up disassemble videos on Youtube, the board shows where the RTC/CMOS battery would be with a blank white circle.

The RTC battery low should be resolved with a new battery in this case.

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS