Does Malwarebytes anitmalware protect you from just malware?

mangaman

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
I've had Malwarebytes, the free version, for quite some time and its doing a fantastic job protecting me from malware but is that all malwarebytes can do? Can this anitmalware program also protect me from spyware, adware and other harmful viruses? I also have avast installed to take care of the everyday computer viruses. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Solution
Avast is just as good as any of the other free ones.
Personally, I use even more programs. For example Malwarebytes doesn't detect all malwares. I use ADWCleaner as backup to it. CCleaner is another good program for cleaning up hard drive.

Take a look at the link that MarkW gave....go down the list and you decide what is best for you.

Groveling_Wyrm

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
Avast is just as good as any of the other free ones.
Personally, I use even more programs. For example Malwarebytes doesn't detect all malwares. I use ADWCleaner as backup to it. CCleaner is another good program for cleaning up hard drive.

Take a look at the link that MarkW gave....go down the list and you decide what is best for you.

Solution

cloudropis

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
My personal combo is Avira + Malwarebytes. MB is not PRO, if you use the PRO version disable the real-time security.
I also find very useful extensions like adblock, Chrome download manager (just to make it easier to block a possible exe which is downloading by itself) and Web of Trust. Adblock alone with some common sense works as good as any antivirus.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Best option out there.

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
If you would take a few minutes to read the article I linked, you would learn what the differences are... That is why I linked it. There is a lot of good information in that article.

I have been doing this for decades, and even I learned some things from that article.

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
I know the answer to my own question and that why I posted links for those not aware. The real time protection of Malwarebyte premium is design to be used along side with your primary anti-virus. Your not suppose to turn that off or your lowering your security for no reason at all. Malwarebytes is not really a anti-virus so it doesn't count for the "can't run 2 real anti-virus at the same time" rule that people keep misleading about Malwarebytes.

And please don't just purely use that article for your antivirus purchase, everyone has their opinion. Me personally from my research from everyone experience on each product, I disagree with Tom's Guide ranking Bitdefender so high. Since this is the forum to that website, there a bias of people notfully aware that Bitdefender cause a lot of headache not running appropriately.

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Should had taken a few minutes of your time to read my links then.

Just think about it. if Malwarebytes is not suppose to be use without an antivirus, and what people keep misleading that Malwarebytes Premium proactive protection should not be use along with your antivirus, then when does the proactive (the main feature of buying premium) should ever be use? Does that mean Malwarebytes is a scam? Then if they are then why are people trust Malwarebytes?

No, Malwarebytes design their proactive to run their scan after your traditional antivirus proactive protection does its scan. Traditional antivirus run their proactive scan when you download the file and Malwarebytes run their proactive scan when you execute the file. It is not recommended for a proactive scan to do its job when the file is executing its task because sometime it will still do its damage before the quarantine kick in. Malwarebytes does their proactive scan so late so that it doesn't interfere with your antivirus and rely on your antivirus to stop the malware in its first place. Malwarebytes is a 2nd opinion in case your antivirus misses to give you more security. That is why Malwarebytes Premium is not recommended to be run by itself and its proactive protection should not be disabled. Now Malwarebytes price tag of $25/year for just a secondary security layer is questionable though.

Premium Version.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/premium/

What it does for you

Detects and protects against malware in real-time
Blocks hacking and phishing attempts
Schedules automatic scanning
Offers three flexible scanning modes

How it works for you

Anti-Malware/Anti-Spyware
Malicious website blocking
Real-time protection
Heuristic detection
Integrated Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit
Hyper Scan mode
Scan/Database update scheduler
Integrated Malwarebytes Chameleon
Advanced malware removal
Antivirus compatibility

http://store.fileforum.com/p32227-malwarebytes_anti-malware_premium_v2

Lifetime License

$27.95

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Care when buying key that is no longer sold by its official company. I bought a lifetime key 6 months ago from Amazon, then after a version update the key stop working. After contacting Malwarebytes they confirm that the key was fake and replace it with the yearly 3 PC licence for free.

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Hopefully, I decided to try my luck with them for my last shot of getting a lifetime replacement. I like how they use Cleverbridge for the key distribution, all the security software I buy from official companies use Cleverbridge to handle the key distribution. Thanks for the link.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

I run solo Malwarebytes and haven't had a virus problem ever (Since using it).

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Yep the famous crypto locker got on a family members computer. They had Mcaffee installed and it warned them 2 days later and it was already too late. 5 days later a different family member got it, but I had put Malwarebytes on their pc. Malwarebytes caught it, stopped it, and removed it before anything was harmed.